Updated Jul 5, 2014 - 7:35 pm
Diamondbacks trade Joe Thatcher, Tony Campana to Angels for two prospects
The deal has relief pitcher Joe Thatcher and outfielder Tony Campana heading to L.A. in exchange for minor leaguers Zach Borenstein and Joey Krehbiel.
Thatcher arrived in Arizona via San Diego midway through the 2013 season. The 32-year-old left-handed reliever had 37 appearances with the Diamondbacks so far in 2014, boasting a 2.63 ERA and 25 strikeouts in 24.0 innings pitched.
Campana, a left-handed hitter, had 60 at-bats with the D-backs in 2014, hitting just .150 with one double, one triple and three RBI.
The trade has the Diamondbacks receiving a right-handed pitcher and a left-handed hitting outfielder from the minor leagues.
Krehbiel, a 6-foot-2 reliever, pitched in 17 games for a Class-A and a Class-A Advanced club in the Angels' farm system this season. The 21-year-old struck out 23 batters and had a 2.00 ERA with five saves in 18.0 innings pitched.
Borenstein, a 6-foot, 225-pound leftfielder, has appeared in 78 games between the Angels' Double-A and Triple-A affiliates in 2014. For the Salt Lake Bees of the Pacific Coast League, the 23-year-old Borenstein batted .256 with two home runs and 22 RBI in 117 at-bats.
In addition to the trade Saturday, the Diamondbacks recalled left-handed relief pitcher Eury De La Rosa from Triple-A Reno, who has appeared in 19 games so far for the D-backs in 2014.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.