Updated May 30, 2014 - 5:07 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks' J.J. Putz 'encouraged' after simulated game
"Well, you can't get much worse conditions," the Diamondbacks' 37-year-old reliever said on Friday. "The nice thing is that you got good and loose. I'm sure we're going to play games when it's hot outside, so it's just part of it."
Putz added he was "full go," throwing all of his pitches.
"I thought it went well. Threw some good pitches. Split was a little inconsistent, but other than that, mixed it up well," he said standing at his locker inside the clubhouse. "I'm encouraged by it. I felt good about it."
So, too, did manager Kirk Gibson, who watched from behind home plate, shielded by the batting practice cage alongside pitching coach Mike Harkey and pitching consultant Dave Duncan.
"His fastball command is what you're interested in," Gibson said. "Thought he got a little tired at the end, but overall, for the first time on the mound, I thought he did pretty good."
Putz was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to May 4. Prior to that, he had made 13 relief appearances, going 1-0 with a 5.40 ERA (6 ER in 10.0 IP), six walks and 12 strikeouts.
Gibson said the plan is for Putz to throw another simulated game on Monday morning at Salt River Fields and then if all goes well, he'll throw back-to-back games in a rehab assignment on Thursday and Friday.
"We expect that he'll be fine, but you never know," Gibson said. "He might show up with some soreness."
Putz, in the last year of a contract that pays him $7 million, expected he would need some time before returning to the active roster.
"Yeah, I'll probably have to throw a couple of games," he said before having had a chance to speak to Gibson. "I think that'll be beneficial."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.