Updated May 30, 2014 - 5:07 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks' J.J. Putz 'encouraged' after simulated game
"Well, you can't get much worse conditions," the Diamondbacks' 37-year-old reliever said on Friday. "The nice thing is that you got good and loose. I'm sure we're going to play games when it's hot outside, so it's just part of it."
Putz added he was "full go," throwing all of his pitches.
"I thought it went well. Threw some good pitches. Split was a little inconsistent, but other than that, mixed it up well," he said standing at his locker inside the clubhouse. "I'm encouraged by it. I felt good about it."
So, too, did manager Kirk Gibson, who watched from behind home plate, shielded by the batting practice cage alongside pitching coach Mike Harkey and pitching consultant Dave Duncan.
"His fastball command is what you're interested in," Gibson said. "Thought he got a little tired at the end, but overall, for the first time on the mound, I thought he did pretty good."
Putz was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to May 4. Prior to that, he had made 13 relief appearances, going 1-0 with a 5.40 ERA (6 ER in 10.0 IP), six walks and 12 strikeouts.
Gibson said the plan is for Putz to throw another simulated game on Monday morning at Salt River Fields and then if all goes well, he'll throw back-to-back games in a rehab assignment on Thursday and Friday.
"We expect that he'll be fine, but you never know," Gibson said. "He might show up with some soreness."
Putz, in the last year of a contract that pays him $7 million, expected he would need some time before returning to the active roster.
"Yeah, I'll probably have to throw a couple of games," he said before having had a chance to speak to Gibson. "I think that'll be beneficial."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.