Updated May 26, 2014 - 4:40 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks' Aaron Hill improved, available if needed
"He's good. He texted me and wanted to play," manager Kirk Gibson said.
Hill had left the second game of Sunday's doubleheader against the New York Mets for precautionary reasons after fouling a ball off his left ankle.
"I talked to (head athletic trainer) Ken (Crenshaw) today and all things considered, we're going to give him another day. He's available (to play). I'm sure he's going to hit in the cage," Gibson said. "He had a pretty big knot on there and actually he could play the field okay, but the hitting really bothered him, so we're going to give him another day to get some more inflammation out of there."
Hill, who was 2-for-8 with a double and two runs scored in the three games against the Mets, was not wearing his shin guard as he normally does.
"Maybe he's convinced he should wear his pad all the time now," Gibson said with a smile. "Actually, he says when he starts hitting balls like that then that's a good sign. He's starting to get the head (of the bat) out and that's what happens, so he's going to have to start wearing that more consistently."
It's been a rough couple of weeks for Hill. He missed three games due to a sore shoulder last week. The ankle, though, is not expected to keep him sidelined for any extended time.
"(Crenshaw is) comfortable we're headed in the right direction," Gibson said.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.