Updated May 26, 2014 - 4:40 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks' Aaron Hill improved, available if needed
"He's good. He texted me and wanted to play," manager Kirk Gibson said.
Hill had left the second game of Sunday's doubleheader against the New York Mets for precautionary reasons after fouling a ball off his left ankle.
"I talked to (head athletic trainer) Ken (Crenshaw) today and all things considered, we're going to give him another day. He's available (to play). I'm sure he's going to hit in the cage," Gibson said. "He had a pretty big knot on there and actually he could play the field okay, but the hitting really bothered him, so we're going to give him another day to get some more inflammation out of there."
Hill, who was 2-for-8 with a double and two runs scored in the three games against the Mets, was not wearing his shin guard as he normally does.
"Maybe he's convinced he should wear his pad all the time now," Gibson said with a smile. "Actually, he says when he starts hitting balls like that then that's a good sign. He's starting to get the head (of the bat) out and that's what happens, so he's going to have to start wearing that more consistently."
It's been a rough couple of weeks for Hill. He missed three games due to a sore shoulder last week. The ankle, though, is not expected to keep him sidelined for any extended time.
"(Crenshaw is) comfortable we're headed in the right direction," Gibson said.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Rookie makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.