Updated Apr 7, 2014 - 5:51 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks are struggling in the leadoff spot
Much, much more.
Through nine games this season in the one-hole, Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock have combined to hit a woeful .158 with an on-base percentage of just .195.
Individually, Parra is hitting .250 with a .235 OBP, while Pollock is at .091 and .167.
If Pollock and Parra are the team's table setters, they're forgetting the silverware and dishes.
Following pitcher Wade Miley's three-hit effort in Sunday's win over Colorado, the leadoff spot is now carrying the lowest batting average on the team, behind the nine-hole's .182 average and .229 OBP.
While the sample size is incredibly small and the numbers are likely to improve, it's worth noting the D-backs have not typically had a "prototypical" leadoff hitter throughout the majority of their history.
From Devon White, Tony Womack and Craig Counsell to Stephen Drew, Chris Young and Willie Bloomquist -- and now Parra and Pollock -- Arizona has generally lacked someone who brought both speed and the ability to get on base to the table.
Interestingly enough, as recently as one year ago Adam Eaton was expected to be that guy. A terror all throughout the minor leagues, the outfielder seemed to carry the very skill set the franchise has lacked in that spot.
However, an injury suffered in spring training derailed Eaton's season, and a mid-season return to the lineup did not inspire confidence that he was going to be the player everyone hoped he would.
Eaton was then traded to the Chicago White Sox as part of the three-way deal that brought Mark Trumbo to Arizona. In six games with his new team this season Eaton, who has hit leadoff in every one of them, is batting .269 with an OBP of .333. He was caught stealing in his only attempt.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.