Updated Apr 7, 2014 - 5:51 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks are struggling in the leadoff spot
Much, much more.
Through nine games this season in the one-hole, Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock have combined to hit a woeful .158 with an on-base percentage of just .195.
Individually, Parra is hitting .250 with a .235 OBP, while Pollock is at .091 and .167.
If Pollock and Parra are the team's table setters, they're forgetting the silverware and dishes.
Following pitcher Wade Miley's three-hit effort in Sunday's win over Colorado, the leadoff spot is now carrying the lowest batting average on the team, behind the nine-hole's .182 average and .229 OBP.
While the sample size is incredibly small and the numbers are likely to improve, it's worth noting the D-backs have not typically had a "prototypical" leadoff hitter throughout the majority of their history.
From Devon White, Tony Womack and Craig Counsell to Stephen Drew, Chris Young and Willie Bloomquist -- and now Parra and Pollock -- Arizona has generally lacked someone who brought both speed and the ability to get on base to the table.
Interestingly enough, as recently as one year ago Adam Eaton was expected to be that guy. A terror all throughout the minor leagues, the outfielder seemed to carry the very skill set the franchise has lacked in that spot.
However, an injury suffered in spring training derailed Eaton's season, and a mid-season return to the lineup did not inspire confidence that he was going to be the player everyone hoped he would.
Eaton was then traded to the Chicago White Sox as part of the three-way deal that brought Mark Trumbo to Arizona. In six games with his new team this season Eaton, who has hit leadoff in every one of them, is batting .269 with an OBP of .333. He was caught stealing in his only attempt.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.