Welcome to the new NL West…or should we call it the new AL East? The Yankees have led the league in payroll for the last 15 years. They have been to the postseason 13 times in that same dispensation and have won 11 AL East titles. Coincidence? I think not.
Looking at those numbers, why wouldn't the Dodgers pursue the same path as the Yankees? There certainly appears to be a direct correlation between winning baseball games and having the resources to acquire the best players. Or as Dodgers GM, Ned Colletti, said: "We're expected to win, and that's how we go about it. Money doesn't mean you win. Money just means you have a chance to get the best players."
That's laughable if not profound.
Baseball needs a salary cap. And don't talk to me about the teeth of baseball's luxury tax, either. The Yankees blew past the luxury tax and treated it like the feel good mechanism that it is when they signed Masahiro Tanaka.
The Dodgers are spending $235 million and the Astros are spending $45 million. How's that feel?
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.