Welcome to the new NL West…or should we call it the new AL East? The Yankees have led the league in payroll for the last 15 years. They have been to the postseason 13 times in that same dispensation and have won 11 AL East titles. Coincidence? I think not.
Looking at those numbers, why wouldn't the Dodgers pursue the same path as the Yankees? There certainly appears to be a direct correlation between winning baseball games and having the resources to acquire the best players. Or as Dodgers GM, Ned Colletti, said: "We're expected to win, and that's how we go about it. Money doesn't mean you win. Money just means you have a chance to get the best players."
That's laughable if not profound.
Baseball needs a salary cap. And don't talk to me about the teeth of baseball's luxury tax, either. The Yankees blew past the luxury tax and treated it like the feel good mechanism that it is when they signed Masahiro Tanaka.
The Dodgers are spending $235 million and the Astros are spending $45 million. How's that feel?
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.