Diamondbacks GM does not anticipate trading Didi Gregorius or Chris Owings
Granted, he probably wouldn't say if he was planning on trading either Didi Gregorius or Chris Owings, but when talking to Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday, he gave no indication that a deal is in the team's future, regardless of recent reports.
"We have gotten a lot of calls on our infielders just because of some of the injuries to infielders with other ball clubs, but I don't anticipate making a trade with any of our infielders," he said.
All spring the battle has been between Owings, the 2013 Pacific Coast League MVP, and Gregorius, the D-backs' starting shortstop for the majority of the 2013 campaign. Veteran Cliff Pennington is also in the mix, but his roster spot as a utility infielder appears to be pretty secure, with the competition being between the pair of younger players.
Each started one game and had one pinch hit appearance in Sydney, Australia. Owings, who is considered to be the better hitter of the two, went 1-for-4 with one walk and two strikeouts, while Gregorius was 0-for-4 with one walk and a pair of strikeouts.
"It still is not determined if we on Monday go with two infielders or go with one infielder, which infielder it is," the GM said. "Those decisions don't have to be made until probably Saturday after the game.
"But I don't anticipate moving any of my infielders. I think all remain either with the Diamondbacks or Reno Aces."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.