Updated Feb 5, 2014 - 5:48 pm
Diamondbacks manager Gibson: Mark Trumbo is a young, emerging player
Great power, but plenty of strikeouts. Adequate defense as a first baseman, but questionable abilities as a left fielder.
However, the skipper has every belief his new outfielder will come in and help the team win games.
"You know, I'm an optimistic guy," Gibson told the Burns and Gambo Show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday. "I think that he's a young, emerging guy. There's a lot more left in his tank. We've seen his power."
It is Trumbo's power -- 95 home runs over the last three seasons, including 34 in 2013 -- that attracted the Diamondbacks.
Though Arizona ranked fifth in the National League in runs scored, with 685, they were fourth-to-last in the NL -- and baseball, as a whole -- in home runs, with just 130.
But with great power comes great responsibility or, as in Trumbo's case, a propensity to swing and miss. The slugger fanned 184 times last season, placing him seventh in all of baseball. In comparison Paul Goldschmidt led the D-backs in punchouts with 145.
"I think he's got room for improvement as far as connectivity," Gibson added. "We don't know how good of an outfielder he is, although I do know that he's a very good athlete."
Gibson said he believes Dave McKay, the team's new base running, first base and outfield coach, will play a vital role in Trumbo's development as a left fielder, where the 28-year-old has played just 75 career games.
"I'm optimistic," Gibson reiterated. "I think there's a lot of upside in this kid."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.