Updated Feb 5, 2014 - 5:48 pm
Diamondbacks manager Gibson: Mark Trumbo is a young, emerging player
Great power, but plenty of strikeouts. Adequate defense as a first baseman, but questionable abilities as a left fielder.
However, the skipper has every belief his new outfielder will come in and help the team win games.
"You know, I'm an optimistic guy," Gibson told the Burns and Gambo Show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday. "I think that he's a young, emerging guy. There's a lot more left in his tank. We've seen his power."
It is Trumbo's power -- 95 home runs over the last three seasons, including 34 in 2013 -- that attracted the Diamondbacks.
Though Arizona ranked fifth in the National League in runs scored, with 685, they were fourth-to-last in the NL -- and baseball, as a whole -- in home runs, with just 130.
But with great power comes great responsibility or, as in Trumbo's case, a propensity to swing and miss. The slugger fanned 184 times last season, placing him seventh in all of baseball. In comparison Paul Goldschmidt led the D-backs in punchouts with 145.
"I think he's got room for improvement as far as connectivity," Gibson added. "We don't know how good of an outfielder he is, although I do know that he's a very good athlete."
Gibson said he believes Dave McKay, the team's new base running, first base and outfield coach, will play a vital role in Trumbo's development as a left fielder, where the 28-year-old has played just 75 career games.
"I'm optimistic," Gibson reiterated. "I think there's a lot of upside in this kid."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?