Report: Willie Bloomquist close to signing with Seattle Mariners
According to Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports, the veteran utility player is close to leaving the Arizona Diamondbacks to sign a deal with the Seattle Mariners.
Sources: Bloomquist deal with #Mariners is $5.8M for two years.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 2, 2013
This would be Bloomquist's second stint with Seattle, the team that selected him in the third round of the 1999 MLB First-Year Player Draft out of Arizona State. He played in parts of seven seasons for the Mariners, hitting .263 with six home runs and 98 RBI before signing with the Kansas City Royals prior to the 2009 season.
After being granted free agency in 2010, Bloomquist signed a one-year deal with the Diamondbacks. In 2011, he played a key role for the NL West champion D-backs, playing in 97 games and hitting .266 with four home runs and 26 RBI while filling in at shortstop for the injured Stephen Drew.
He then re-signed with Arizona on a one-year deal with a mutual option for a second season.
In three seasons in Arizona, Bloomquist hit .289 with four homers and 63 runs batted in, while providing veteran leadership for manager Kirk Gibson.
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.