Arizona Diamondbacks name Bradley and Owings as Players of the Year
"Chris Owings and Archie Bradley had exceptional seasons," said Mike Bell, the D-backs Director of Player Development. "Both Chris and Archie's stats are among the best in all of Minor League Baseball and their character is second to none. We are ecstatic to honor both players with Player Development's most prestigious awards. Many Minor League staff members spent valuable time with them to ensure that Chris and Archie develop into successful winning ball players in the near future."
Bradley, a starter and projected to be a future ace for the big league club, went 14-5 with a 1.84 ERA in 26 starts between Single-A Visalia and Double-A Mobile. He was also named the Southern League's Most Outstanding Pitcher, was a Sirius XM All-Star Futures Game participant and was the Topps Pitcher of the Month in August.
Owings, who was called up to the Majors on September 3, hit .330 with 12 home runs, 81 RBI and 104 runs scored in 125 games with Triple-A Reno. The shortstop was also just the third player in Pacific Coast League history to win the Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year awards in the same season. Like Bradley, Owings was named to the Futures Game. He was also the D-backs organizational Player of the Month in April, May and June, the first player for the franchise to earn the honor in three straight months.
In MLB.com's annual prospect rankings before the 2013 season, Bradley was ranked as the seventh-best prospect in baseball while Owings was named the 83rd-best prospect.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.