Arizona Diamondbacks name Bradley and Owings as Players of the Year
"Chris Owings and Archie Bradley had exceptional seasons," said Mike Bell, the D-backs Director of Player Development. "Both Chris and Archie's stats are among the best in all of Minor League Baseball and their character is second to none. We are ecstatic to honor both players with Player Development's most prestigious awards. Many Minor League staff members spent valuable time with them to ensure that Chris and Archie develop into successful winning ball players in the near future."
Bradley, a starter and projected to be a future ace for the big league club, went 14-5 with a 1.84 ERA in 26 starts between Single-A Visalia and Double-A Mobile. He was also named the Southern League's Most Outstanding Pitcher, was a Sirius XM All-Star Futures Game participant and was the Topps Pitcher of the Month in August.
Owings, who was called up to the Majors on September 3, hit .330 with 12 home runs, 81 RBI and 104 runs scored in 125 games with Triple-A Reno. The shortstop was also just the third player in Pacific Coast League history to win the Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year awards in the same season. Like Bradley, Owings was named to the Futures Game. He was also the D-backs organizational Player of the Month in April, May and June, the first player for the franchise to earn the honor in three straight months.
In MLB.com's annual prospect rankings before the 2013 season, Bradley was ranked as the seventh-best prospect in baseball while Owings was named the 83rd-best prospect.
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.