Diamondbacks GM: Team is struggling on offense, not giving up
In that time they've struggled against lesser teams teams like Toronto and San Francisco, and nearly had a perfect game thrown against them by Yusmeiro Petit.
The stretch has pretty much taken the postseason out of the conversation for the team that spent a significant portion of the season in first place, but while it may look like the team has given up or stopped caring, general manager Kevin Towers says that's not the case.
"When you don't swing the bats, offensively you're struggling, your team looks flat," Towers conceded on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "It looks like you don't care, there's no emotion, these guys have given up.
"They haven't given up, it's not that they're not emotional, it's just that when you don't score runs everything looks bad."
The D-backs have averaged just 2.15 runs per game over their last 13, and have been shut out twice during that span.
And as has been the case for seemingly most of the season, the lapse in offense has come during a time when the starting pitching, for the most part, has been pretty solid.
That, along with the bullpen's struggles, has left Towers pretty frustrated.
"Our pitching doesn't click with our hitting; when we're pitching we're not hitting, when we're hitting we're not pitching," he said. "And when we're hitting and pitching, then our bullpen struggles.
"Of late, it's definitely been offense."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.