Diamondbacks GM: Team is struggling on offense, not giving up
In that time they've struggled against lesser teams teams like Toronto and San Francisco, and nearly had a perfect game thrown against them by Yusmeiro Petit.
The stretch has pretty much taken the postseason out of the conversation for the team that spent a significant portion of the season in first place, but while it may look like the team has given up or stopped caring, general manager Kevin Towers says that's not the case.
"When you don't swing the bats, offensively you're struggling, your team looks flat," Towers conceded on Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "It looks like you don't care, there's no emotion, these guys have given up.
"They haven't given up, it's not that they're not emotional, it's just that when you don't score runs everything looks bad."
The D-backs have averaged just 2.15 runs per game over their last 13, and have been shut out twice during that span.
And as has been the case for seemingly most of the season, the lapse in offense has come during a time when the starting pitching, for the most part, has been pretty solid.
That, along with the bullpen's struggles, has left Towers pretty frustrated.
"Our pitching doesn't click with our hitting; when we're pitching we're not hitting, when we're hitting we're not pitching," he said. "And when we're hitting and pitching, then our bullpen struggles.
"Of late, it's definitely been offense."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.