Arizona Diamondbacks' Martin Prado wins NL Player of the Month
During August, Prado led the NL in RBI and hits with 30 and 43, respectively, over his 28 games played. He had 65 total bases, second most in the NL, and scored 19 runs on the month as well.
Additionally, Prado had the lowest strikeout rate, 5.5%, among hitters with at least 50 plate appearances and ranked fourth in WAR at 1.5, according to Fangraphs.com.
Some of the highlights of Prado's impressive month included two four-hit games and four consecutive games with multiple RBI. He also had the most RBI in any month by a Diamondback since Luis Gonzalez knocked in 35 runners in June 2001.
The players Prado beat out for the award included Washington's Jayson Werth, Pittsburgh's Andrew McCutchen and San Francisco's Brandon Belt.
Prado is in his first year with the D-backs after being acquired from Atlanta in the Justin Upton trade made prior to the season. This is the first time in his career Prado has been selected for a monthly award.
Over in the American League, Miguel Cabrera won the award after sporting a .356 batting average to go along with his 11 home runs and 31 RBI in 27 games.
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.