Arizona Diamondbacks' Martin Prado wins NL Player of the Month
During August, Prado led the NL in RBI and hits with 30 and 43, respectively, over his 28 games played. He had 65 total bases, second most in the NL, and scored 19 runs on the month as well.
Additionally, Prado had the lowest strikeout rate, 5.5%, among hitters with at least 50 plate appearances and ranked fourth in WAR at 1.5, according to Fangraphs.com.
Some of the highlights of Prado's impressive month included two four-hit games and four consecutive games with multiple RBI. He also had the most RBI in any month by a Diamondback since Luis Gonzalez knocked in 35 runners in June 2001.
The players Prado beat out for the award included Washington's Jayson Werth, Pittsburgh's Andrew McCutchen and San Francisco's Brandon Belt.
Prado is in his first year with the D-backs after being acquired from Atlanta in the Justin Upton trade made prior to the season. This is the first time in his career Prado has been selected for a monthly award.
Over in the American League, Miguel Cabrera won the award after sporting a .356 batting average to go along with his 11 home runs and 31 RBI in 27 games.
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.