Arizona Diamondbacks' Martin Prado wins NL Player of the Month
During August, Prado led the NL in RBI and hits with 30 and 43, respectively, over his 28 games played. He had 65 total bases, second most in the NL, and scored 19 runs on the month as well.
Additionally, Prado had the lowest strikeout rate, 5.5%, among hitters with at least 50 plate appearances and ranked fourth in WAR at 1.5, according to Fangraphs.com.
Some of the highlights of Prado's impressive month included two four-hit games and four consecutive games with multiple RBI. He also had the most RBI in any month by a Diamondback since Luis Gonzalez knocked in 35 runners in June 2001.
The players Prado beat out for the award included Washington's Jayson Werth, Pittsburgh's Andrew McCutchen and San Francisco's Brandon Belt.
Prado is in his first year with the D-backs after being acquired from Atlanta in the Justin Upton trade made prior to the season. This is the first time in his career Prado has been selected for a monthly award.
Over in the American League, Miguel Cabrera won the award after sporting a .356 batting average to go along with his 11 home runs and 31 RBI in 27 games.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.