David Holmberg to make MLB debut for Arizona Diamondbacks Tuesday
Tuesday night, they will.
"David Holmberg is on his way," manager Kirk Gibson announced following Monday's 6-1 win over the San Diego Padres at Chase Field.
The 22-year-old left-hander will make his Major League debut against the Padres Tuesday night.
"He's been throwing the ball good and you want somebody who has the ability to throw any pitch at any time, and that's kind of who he is," Gibson said. "He's not David Wells yet, but he's got a curveball, slider, changeup and moves his fastball around and knows how to pitch.
"Again, we've been a good defensive team, so if he can keep the ball in play and let us take care of it, we like our chances."
Holmberg, whom the Diamondbacks acquired in 2010 from the Chicago White Sox in the Daniel Hudson trade, has spent the entire 2013 season at Double-A Mobile. In 25 minor league starts, Holmberg is 5-7 with a 2.66 ERA and 115 strikeouts and 47 walkes in 152.1 innings of work. He ranks fourth in the Southern League in ERA and second in innings pitched.
The former second-round pick last pitched August 21 when he threw seven scoreless innings and allowed just three hits in a 1-0 win over the Jackson Generals.
Holmberg will become the fifth D-backs pitcher to make his big league debut in 2013, joining Charles Brewer, Eury De La Rosa, Chaz Roe and Zeke Spruill.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.