David Holmberg to make MLB debut for Arizona Diamondbacks Tuesday
Tuesday night, they will.
"David Holmberg is on his way," manager Kirk Gibson announced following Monday's 6-1 win over the San Diego Padres at Chase Field.
The 22-year-old left-hander will make his Major League debut against the Padres Tuesday night.
"He's been throwing the ball good and you want somebody who has the ability to throw any pitch at any time, and that's kind of who he is," Gibson said. "He's not David Wells yet, but he's got a curveball, slider, changeup and moves his fastball around and knows how to pitch.
"Again, we've been a good defensive team, so if he can keep the ball in play and let us take care of it, we like our chances."
Holmberg, whom the Diamondbacks acquired in 2010 from the Chicago White Sox in the Daniel Hudson trade, has spent the entire 2013 season at Double-A Mobile. In 25 minor league starts, Holmberg is 5-7 with a 2.66 ERA and 115 strikeouts and 47 walkes in 152.1 innings of work. He ranks fourth in the Southern League in ERA and second in innings pitched.
The former second-round pick last pitched August 21 when he threw seven scoreless innings and allowed just three hits in a 1-0 win over the Jackson Generals.
Holmberg will become the fifth D-backs pitcher to make his big league debut in 2013, joining Charles Brewer, Eury De La Rosa, Chaz Roe and Zeke Spruill.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks to wear special throwback jersey against Chicago Cubs
- Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers says on-field product is his responsibility
- Didi Gregorius off to hot start with Triple-A Reno
- D-backs GM on pitching struggles: 'I've never seen anything like it'
- The Pulse: D-backs having most disappointing April
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.