Updated Aug 15, 2013 - 2:45 pm
Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall weighs in on instant replay changes
Once the expansion is implemented, instant replay options will be available for virtually every play except strike zone calls, with each team's manager being able to issue as many as three challenges per game.
During an interview Thursday with Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, just moments before Selig made the announcement, Arizona Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall said he was on board with the changes that are coming to the game.
"As I've said all along, I think if you have the technology, why not use it to get the calls right?" Hall said. "There's no reason why fans sitting at home watching on TV, or in our suites or with their handhelds can watch the replay and decide whether the call was right or wrong yet the umpires don't have that ability."
Hall added that instant replay should be used in a way that enhances the game but doesn't hurt the speed of it.
MLB owners will make an official vote on the proposal in November. According to the Associated Press, the proposal will need a 75 percent vote of approval, and the players' association would have to agree to those changes.
Hall said the umpires' union would also have to agree to the proposed rule changes.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.