Updated Aug 15, 2013 - 2:45 pm
Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall weighs in on instant replay changes
Once the expansion is implemented, instant replay options will be available for virtually every play except strike zone calls, with each team's manager being able to issue as many as three challenges per game.
During an interview Thursday with Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, just moments before Selig made the announcement, Arizona Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall said he was on board with the changes that are coming to the game.
"As I've said all along, I think if you have the technology, why not use it to get the calls right?" Hall said. "There's no reason why fans sitting at home watching on TV, or in our suites or with their handhelds can watch the replay and decide whether the call was right or wrong yet the umpires don't have that ability."
Hall added that instant replay should be used in a way that enhances the game but doesn't hurt the speed of it.
MLB owners will make an official vote on the proposal in November. According to the Associated Press, the proposal will need a 75 percent vote of approval, and the players' association would have to agree to those changes.
Hall said the umpires' union would also have to agree to the proposed rule changes.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.