Updated Aug 12, 2013 - 4:41 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on DL with hip injury
Before the team's game against the Baltimore Orioles Monday, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson hinted that Ross could have surgery Tuesday.
"His hip came out of his socket, and there's a rim around the socket I guess," Gibson said. "A little piece of bone might have chipped off. So they have to clean that up."
Additionally, the Diamondbacks optioned pitcher Zeke Spruill to Triple-A Reno, recalling pitchers Chaz Roe and Tyler Skaggs from the minor league affiliate.
The 32-year-old Ross was hitting .278 with 38 RBI in 94 games for the Diamondbacks this season before the injury, which required hospitalization.
"I don't see how he can be back this year," Gibson said of Ross' timetable. "I think it just depends. I haven't talked to the surgeon, but it's a traumatic injury. There's more details and more that it entails.
"It's not like a guy does his elbow and it's going to be 11 months from now. I think it's a little more complicated than that."
Spruill was 0-2 with a 5.56 ERA in 11.1 IP for the Diamondbacks this season.
For Roe, 26, the call-up is his third stint with the Diamondbacks this season. He is 1-0 with a 5.79 ERA in his previous two stretches with the big league club.
"If we need protection and get in trouble tonight, that's why we brought Skaggs and Roe up," said Gibson. "It'll be temporary probably, because we got nine guys in [the bullpen] and you don't need that."
The left-handed Skaggs is 2-3 in seven starts with the Diamondbacks this season, compiling a 5.45 ERA in 38.2 innings pitched.
"I haven't [been used as a long reliever], but it shouldn't be a big deal," Skaggs said. "I'll just warm up like I'm starting and go out there and do what I've always been doing."
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.