Updated Aug 12, 2013 - 4:41 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on DL with hip injury
Before the team's game against the Baltimore Orioles Monday, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson hinted that Ross could have surgery Tuesday.
"His hip came out of his socket, and there's a rim around the socket I guess," Gibson said. "A little piece of bone might have chipped off. So they have to clean that up."
Additionally, the Diamondbacks optioned pitcher Zeke Spruill to Triple-A Reno, recalling pitchers Chaz Roe and Tyler Skaggs from the minor league affiliate.
The 32-year-old Ross was hitting .278 with 38 RBI in 94 games for the Diamondbacks this season before the injury, which required hospitalization.
"I don't see how he can be back this year," Gibson said of Ross' timetable. "I think it just depends. I haven't talked to the surgeon, but it's a traumatic injury. There's more details and more that it entails.
"It's not like a guy does his elbow and it's going to be 11 months from now. I think it's a little more complicated than that."
Spruill was 0-2 with a 5.56 ERA in 11.1 IP for the Diamondbacks this season.
For Roe, 26, the call-up is his third stint with the Diamondbacks this season. He is 1-0 with a 5.79 ERA in his previous two stretches with the big league club.
"If we need protection and get in trouble tonight, that's why we brought Skaggs and Roe up," said Gibson. "It'll be temporary probably, because we got nine guys in [the bullpen] and you don't need that."
The left-handed Skaggs is 2-3 in seven starts with the Diamondbacks this season, compiling a 5.45 ERA in 38.2 innings pitched.
"I haven't [been used as a long reliever], but it shouldn't be a big deal," Skaggs said. "I'll just warm up like I'm starting and go out there and do what I've always been doing."
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- D-backs' mystery man David Peralta impresses general manager Kevin Towers
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?