10 unpredictable Diamondbacks storylines
And you can forget anything involving infidelity in the ER, police detectives straddling the line between upholding the law or breaking it, or even teachers selling meth to kids, sports is also the ultimate sports opera as well.
Oh sure, we make predictions and occasionally some come true. And yes, we can anticipate a team's collapse or a player's rise to stardom with a fair amount of accuracy. But the reason sports is so great is because it is perfectly and indisputably unpredictable.
I'll prove it. Let's play a game.
I'm going to list off ten predictions I could have made in March. You tell me which of the ten you would have never believed.
1. The Diamondbacks will go 27 days without a win from a starter and not drop out of first place.
2. Of all the players involved in the Justin Upton trade, Chris Johnson will have the best season.
3. J.J. Putz, Heath Bell and David Hernandez will all be healthy in August, but Brad Ziegler will be the team's closer
4. Patrick Corbin will be an All-Star and Cy Young candidate
5. The World Champion San Francisco Giants will be a last place team entering August
6. Despite 175 fewer plate appearances, Eric Chavez will have more RBI than Miguel Montero
7. The most important player in the NL West this season will be a 22-year old rookie from Cuba
8. Josh Collmenter will not start a game, but through will have more wins than all of Ian Kennedy, Trevor Cahill, and Brandon McCarthy by the end of July
9. Come August, A.J. Pollock will have more RBI than Matt Kemp, but the Dodgers will be in first place
10. Before the season is over, Ian Kennedy will be a San Diego Padre
Let's see if Snooki can beat that for intrigue.
Chuck Powell, KTAR.com & ArizonaSports.com contributor
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.