10 unpredictable Diamondbacks storylines
And you can forget anything involving infidelity in the ER, police detectives straddling the line between upholding the law or breaking it, or even teachers selling meth to kids, sports is also the ultimate sports opera as well.
Oh sure, we make predictions and occasionally some come true. And yes, we can anticipate a team's collapse or a player's rise to stardom with a fair amount of accuracy. But the reason sports is so great is because it is perfectly and indisputably unpredictable.
I'll prove it. Let's play a game.
I'm going to list off ten predictions I could have made in March. You tell me which of the ten you would have never believed.
1. The Diamondbacks will go 27 days without a win from a starter and not drop out of first place.
2. Of all the players involved in the Justin Upton trade, Chris Johnson will have the best season.
3. J.J. Putz, Heath Bell and David Hernandez will all be healthy in August, but Brad Ziegler will be the team's closer
4. Patrick Corbin will be an All-Star and Cy Young candidate
5. The World Champion San Francisco Giants will be a last place team entering August
6. Despite 175 fewer plate appearances, Eric Chavez will have more RBI than Miguel Montero
7. The most important player in the NL West this season will be a 22-year old rookie from Cuba
8. Josh Collmenter will not start a game, but through will have more wins than all of Ian Kennedy, Trevor Cahill, and Brandon McCarthy by the end of July
9. Come August, A.J. Pollock will have more RBI than Matt Kemp, but the Dodgers will be in first place
10. Before the season is over, Ian Kennedy will be a San Diego Padre
Let's see if Snooki can beat that for intrigue.
Chuck Powell, KTAR.com & ArizonaSports.com contributor
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?