Updated Jul 31, 2013 - 11:16 am
Diamondbacks' GM details Ian Kennedy's struggles
The former ace's name has also come up in recent trade rumors.
Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers, in an interview Wednesday with Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, weighed in on Kennedy's struggles from the mound this year.
"He's having a hard time getting the fastball to the spots he wants," Towers said. "I think that's the big difference between 2011, last year and now this year.
"The velocity is a tick down. He's not driving it down in the zone...and when that happens, there's going to be hard contact."
Towers also pointed out that Kennedy's command hasn't been as strong and his walk rate is up. However, the GM acknowledged that Kennedy's problems haven't been purely physical.
"I'm sure some of it has to be mental," Towers added. "I mean this guy two years ago won 21 games, and right now is probably asking himself, 'What went wrong? How come I can't win on a consistent basis now, locate my pitches where I want to and have the same sequence with command and with confidence that I had two years ago?'"
Towers said that even though critics constantly point out the team's pitching woes, he is more concerned about players on offense, and that more runs from them would take some of the pressure off the pitchers.
"If you can't score runs, it makes it very difficult on your pitching staff thinking you have to make perfect pitches, that if you give up a couple runs, you're out of the ball game," he said.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.