Updated Jul 31, 2013 - 11:16 am
Diamondbacks' GM details Ian Kennedy's struggles
The former ace's name has also come up in recent trade rumors.
Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers, in an interview Wednesday with Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, weighed in on Kennedy's struggles from the mound this year.
"He's having a hard time getting the fastball to the spots he wants," Towers said. "I think that's the big difference between 2011, last year and now this year.
"The velocity is a tick down. He's not driving it down in the zone...and when that happens, there's going to be hard contact."
Towers also pointed out that Kennedy's command hasn't been as strong and his walk rate is up. However, the GM acknowledged that Kennedy's problems haven't been purely physical.
"I'm sure some of it has to be mental," Towers added. "I mean this guy two years ago won 21 games, and right now is probably asking himself, 'What went wrong? How come I can't win on a consistent basis now, locate my pitches where I want to and have the same sequence with command and with confidence that I had two years ago?'"
Towers said that even though critics constantly point out the team's pitching woes, he is more concerned about players on offense, and that more runs from them would take some of the pressure off the pitchers.
"If you can't score runs, it makes it very difficult on your pitching staff thinking you have to make perfect pitches, that if you give up a couple runs, you're out of the ball game," he said.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?