Updated Jul 31, 2013 - 11:16 am
Diamondbacks' GM details Ian Kennedy's struggles
The former ace's name has also come up in recent trade rumors.
Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers, in an interview Wednesday with Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, weighed in on Kennedy's struggles from the mound this year.
"He's having a hard time getting the fastball to the spots he wants," Towers said. "I think that's the big difference between 2011, last year and now this year.
"The velocity is a tick down. He's not driving it down in the zone...and when that happens, there's going to be hard contact."
Towers also pointed out that Kennedy's command hasn't been as strong and his walk rate is up. However, the GM acknowledged that Kennedy's problems haven't been purely physical.
"I'm sure some of it has to be mental," Towers added. "I mean this guy two years ago won 21 games, and right now is probably asking himself, 'What went wrong? How come I can't win on a consistent basis now, locate my pitches where I want to and have the same sequence with command and with confidence that I had two years ago?'"
Towers said that even though critics constantly point out the team's pitching woes, he is more concerned about players on offense, and that more runs from them would take some of the pressure off the pitchers.
"If you can't score runs, it makes it very difficult on your pitching staff thinking you have to make perfect pitches, that if you give up a couple runs, you're out of the ball game," he said.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.