Arizona Diamondbacks linked to free agent RP Brian Wilson
From 2008 to 2011, he accumulated 163 saves to go along with a 3.00 ERA, and helped lead the Giants to the 2010 World Series championship.
However, an elbow injury that required Tommy John surgery sidelined the right-hander in 2012, and now the free agent pitcher is looking for a team to sign him.
USA Today baseball writer Bob Nightengale tweeted that the D-backs were one of four National League teams -- and nine total squads -- to have interest, and even added that Arizona was considered to be a "strong front runner."
However, Arizona Sports' John Gambadoro says that's not the case.
Diamondbacks not in on free agent reliever Brian Wilson who had Tommy John surgery in April of 2012— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) July 29, 2013
The D-backs are likely a popular pick to land the pitcher due to their bullpen's season-long struggles, and a healthy and effective Wilson would be an excellent resource for manager Kirk Gibson to turn to late in games.
However, there is no telling what kind of pitcher Wilson will be when he returns, and the D-backs may not be too interested in finding out first-hand.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.