Arizona Diamondbacks linked to free agent RP Brian Wilson
From 2008 to 2011, he accumulated 163 saves to go along with a 3.00 ERA, and helped lead the Giants to the 2010 World Series championship.
However, an elbow injury that required Tommy John surgery sidelined the right-hander in 2012, and now the free agent pitcher is looking for a team to sign him.
USA Today baseball writer Bob Nightengale tweeted that the D-backs were one of four National League teams -- and nine total squads -- to have interest, and even added that Arizona was considered to be a "strong front runner."
However, Arizona Sports' John Gambadoro says that's not the case.
Diamondbacks not in on free agent reliever Brian Wilson who had Tommy John surgery in April of 2012— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) July 29, 2013
The D-backs are likely a popular pick to land the pitcher due to their bullpen's season-long struggles, and a healthy and effective Wilson would be an excellent resource for manager Kirk Gibson to turn to late in games.
However, there is no telling what kind of pitcher Wilson will be when he returns, and the D-backs may not be too interested in finding out first-hand.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.