Arizona Diamondbacks linked to free agent RP Brian Wilson
From 2008 to 2011, he accumulated 163 saves to go along with a 3.00 ERA, and helped lead the Giants to the 2010 World Series championship.
However, an elbow injury that required Tommy John surgery sidelined the right-hander in 2012, and now the free agent pitcher is looking for a team to sign him.
USA Today baseball writer Bob Nightengale tweeted that the D-backs were one of four National League teams -- and nine total squads -- to have interest, and even added that Arizona was considered to be a "strong front runner."
However, Arizona Sports' John Gambadoro says that's not the case.
Diamondbacks not in on free agent reliever Brian Wilson who had Tommy John surgery in April of 2012— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) July 29, 2013
The D-backs are likely a popular pick to land the pitcher due to their bullpen's season-long struggles, and a healthy and effective Wilson would be an excellent resource for manager Kirk Gibson to turn to late in games.
However, there is no telling what kind of pitcher Wilson will be when he returns, and the D-backs may not be too interested in finding out first-hand.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.