Updated Jul 28, 2013 - 11:55 am
Diamondbacks recall Chaz Roe, option Tyler Skaggs
On Saturday, the team used six relievers in a 12-3 loss to the San Diego Padres and manager Kirk Gibson announced after the game that his team would be calling up a pitcher to aid the relief staff.
Skaggs started Saturday's game, lasting just 3.2 innings while walking five and hitting one, ultimately allowing seven earned runs on three hits.
In three games, 3.2 innings pitched, for the Diamondbacks earlier this season, Roe allowed two earned runs, walking six, striking out two, and surrendering four hits. Roe's major league debut came at the beginning of his three-game stint with the team earlier this season. He has a 1-0 record with a blown save on the year.
"We had him up here when we played the Mets and had all of those extra-inning games and rain delays," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said Sunday. "He sucked it up big time. We were dragging, he was dragging and he did a good job. He was also throwing the ball well in Triple-A."
The 26-year-old right-hander has recorded a 1.69 ERA in 16 innings pitched for Triple-A Reno this season, walking two while striking out 17 while tallying six saves. He began the year with Double-A Mobile, where he pitched just 2.1 innings before being promoted.
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.