Diamondbacks' tenure in first: By the numbers
That same day, the Los Angeles Dodgers fell to the Atlanta Braves 8-5, the San Diego Padres lost to the Washington Nationals 6-5 and the Colorado Rockies beat the San Francisco Giants 10-9.
The D-backs claimed first place in the NL West, and they would stay there...up until Monday's loss to the Chicago Cubs.
A lot happened during the team's tenure at the top of the division, which spanned officially from May 17 to July 21, so let's take a look back at that time -- by the numbers.
The Diamondbacks spent 66 days in first place.
Twelve different pitchers recorded a win for the Diamondbacks:
Paul Goldschmidt hit .301 with 11 home runs during the stretch.
Three different teams -- the Dodgers, Giants and Rockies -- were, at one point, in second place.
Royal pregnancies that captivated America as well as champions crowned in both the NBA and NHL.
The number of blown saves Heath Bell, J.J. Putz, David Hernandez, Matt Reynolds and Chaz Roe combined for.
The D-backs' largest lead in the division, which was 4.5 games on July 7.
Incidentally, the D-backs had both a five-game winning streak and a five-game losing streak during their first-place run.
Starting pitcher Ian Kennedy went 2-8 with a 5.83 ERA in 10 starts over the last 66 days.
Brad Ziegler's conversion rate as the team's closer.
Days the Los Angeles Dodgers have spent in first place -- this entire season.
The day Dodgers' rookie Yasiel Puig made his Major League debut. L.A. won that game by a score of 2-1, and has gone 28-15 since the Cuban was elevated to the big league roster.
D-backs that appeared in the July 16 All-Star Game, as Paul Goldschmidt and Patrick Corbin represented the team in New York.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?