Updated Jul 14, 2013 - 9:16 am
FanBall Weekly: Chris Davis is the next home run king
One of the reasons I'm a Davis fan is because of his often heralded potential. He isn't somebody who came from nowhere to be somebody like Bret Boone in the early 2000's, somebody who was also an alleged steroid user, and he isn't a superstar having a career year. Though that last statement may change over the next year or two. Davis was a Rangers prosp ect with a ton of power potential, so much that they felt they could trade away budding prospect Justin Smoak and use Davis at first base. Dumping Smoak worked out very well for Texas but they made a mistake sending him off to Baltimore with Tommy Hunter for Koji Uehara. What a lopsided deal that ended up being. Davis has already topped last season's home run and RBI numbers and is well on his way to finishing in the top three of MVP voting. His fantastic season is the result of hard work, persistence and some Buck Showalter magic. I don't know what he's doing with the guys in Baltimore but as I've said in previous articles, Buck has completely changed the culture there and is giving Davis consistent playing time to allow him to come into his own as a hitter.
If he hits 61 home runs it will be historic. He'll be the first since Ken Griffey, Jr. in 1998 to come anywhere close to Maris' mark clean of any steroid allegations. He'll be looked at by fans and even writers and other media as the real home run record holder, one free of any asterisks. It's going to be one hell of a ride through the rest of the summer and Chris Davis is holding the reins of the Orioles bandwagon, so jump on now and watch the show, because it may never come back again.
- Miley struggles in opener, Phillies top D-backs: By The Numbers
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.