Updated Jul 14, 2013 - 9:16 am
FanBall Weekly: Chris Davis is the next home run king
One of the reasons I'm a Davis fan is because of his often heralded potential. He isn't somebody who came from nowhere to be somebody like Bret Boone in the early 2000's, somebody who was also an alleged steroid user, and he isn't a superstar having a career year. Though that last statement may change over the next year or two. Davis was a Rangers prosp ect with a ton of power potential, so much that they felt they could trade away budding prospect Justin Smoak and use Davis at first base. Dumping Smoak worked out very well for Texas but they made a mistake sending him off to Baltimore with Tommy Hunter for Koji Uehara. What a lopsided deal that ended up being. Davis has already topped last season's home run and RBI numbers and is well on his way to finishing in the top three of MVP voting. His fantastic season is the result of hard work, persistence and some Buck Showalter magic. I don't know what he's doing with the guys in Baltimore but as I've said in previous articles, Buck has completely changed the culture there and is giving Davis consistent playing time to allow him to come into his own as a hitter.
If he hits 61 home runs it will be historic. He'll be the first since Ken Griffey, Jr. in 1998 to come anywhere close to Maris' mark clean of any steroid allegations. He'll be looked at by fans and even writers and other media as the real home run record holder, one free of any asterisks. It's going to be one hell of a ride through the rest of the summer and Chris Davis is holding the reins of the Orioles bandwagon, so jump on now and watch the show, because it may never come back again.
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.