Updated Jun 17, 2013 - 8:03 am
Arizona Diamondbacks catcher Miguel Montero in best stretch of thorny season
Yet, through the first two months of the 2013 season, Montero's batting average was below .200. His on-base and slugging percentages sat below .300 and he had less than 10 extra-base hits and less than 20 runs batted in.
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson slotted Montero into the eighth spot in the batting order on more than one occasion, somewhere he hadn't seen since early in the 2011 season.
"It feels great," Montero said on May 20, the night of his first multi-hit game in more than two weeks. "I can't remember the last time I got two hits. Actually (just) one hit."
Such was a reflection of Montero's season at the plate.
While the catcher, who is often regarded as the Diamondbacks' unofficial team captain, has prized intangibles -- leadership ability, pitch-calling and general baseball IQ -- his season was bound to be remembered by the offense it lacked.
Lately, however, Montero's production is trending upward.
The 29-year-old is hitting .300 in the month of June with a .368 OBP. His season batting average has climbed 24 points, to .222, since the end of May.
In his last eight games, Montero is hitting .366 (11-for-30) with five RBI and a .927 on-base-plus-slugging percentage (OPS).
A key middle-of-the-order fixture for the Diamondbacks, the importance of Montero's resurgence can't be understated.
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Mets complete sweep of Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks are no easy fix, but who should get the chance?
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.