Updated Jun 17, 2013 - 8:03 am
Arizona Diamondbacks catcher Miguel Montero in best stretch of thorny season
Yet, through the first two months of the 2013 season, Montero's batting average was below .200. His on-base and slugging percentages sat below .300 and he had less than 10 extra-base hits and less than 20 runs batted in.
Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson slotted Montero into the eighth spot in the batting order on more than one occasion, somewhere he hadn't seen since early in the 2011 season.
"It feels great," Montero said on May 20, the night of his first multi-hit game in more than two weeks. "I can't remember the last time I got two hits. Actually (just) one hit."
Such was a reflection of Montero's season at the plate.
While the catcher, who is often regarded as the Diamondbacks' unofficial team captain, has prized intangibles -- leadership ability, pitch-calling and general baseball IQ -- his season was bound to be remembered by the offense it lacked.
Lately, however, Montero's production is trending upward.
The 29-year-old is hitting .300 in the month of June with a .368 OBP. His season batting average has climbed 24 points, to .222, since the end of May.
In his last eight games, Montero is hitting .366 (11-for-30) with five RBI and a .927 on-base-plus-slugging percentage (OPS).
A key middle-of-the-order fixture for the Diamondbacks, the importance of Montero's resurgence can't be understated.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.