Updated May 31, 2013 - 2:37 pm
Diamondbacks' road trip off to a rocky start
In fact, their Wednesday tilt with the Texas Rangers being postponed was the best thing to happen so far.
You can blame the starting pitching for that.
Brandon McCarthy, who had come into Thursday's game with three straight excellent outings under his belt, surrendered six earned runs in just 2.2 innings of work. The D-backs lost 9-5.
Then, Friday, Wade Miley's struggles continued as the Cubs put up two runs in the first inning and five more in the third. The lefty's final line was seven innings pitched with seven earned runs, two walks and seven strikeouts in the 7-2 loss. He allowed three home runs.
Combined, the D-backs allowed 16 runs on 22 hits and four walks over the two games, with 13 of the runs and 16 of the hits coming off starting pitching.
If you're looking for a silver lining, though, you may find it in Miley's ability to preserve the bullpen. After being needed for 5.1 innings of work Thursday, the 'pen was only needed for a single inning Friday. As noted by Diamondbacks radio voice Jeff Munn:
The stats don't show it, but Wade Miley's outing was huge. He saved the bullpen. Could pay off the rest of the weekend.— Jeff Munn (@MunnyBall) May 31, 2013
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.