Updated May 31, 2013 - 2:37 pm
Diamondbacks' road trip off to a rocky start
In fact, their Wednesday tilt with the Texas Rangers being postponed was the best thing to happen so far.
You can blame the starting pitching for that.
Brandon McCarthy, who had come into Thursday's game with three straight excellent outings under his belt, surrendered six earned runs in just 2.2 innings of work. The D-backs lost 9-5.
Then, Friday, Wade Miley's struggles continued as the Cubs put up two runs in the first inning and five more in the third. The lefty's final line was seven innings pitched with seven earned runs, two walks and seven strikeouts in the 7-2 loss. He allowed three home runs.
Combined, the D-backs allowed 16 runs on 22 hits and four walks over the two games, with 13 of the runs and 16 of the hits coming off starting pitching.
If you're looking for a silver lining, though, you may find it in Miley's ability to preserve the bullpen. After being needed for 5.1 innings of work Thursday, the 'pen was only needed for a single inning Friday. As noted by Diamondbacks radio voice Jeff Munn:
The stats don't show it, but Wade Miley's outing was huge. He saved the bullpen. Could pay off the rest of the weekend.— Jeff Munn (@MunnyBall) May 31, 2013
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.