Updated May 31, 2013 - 2:37 pm
Diamondbacks' road trip off to a rocky start
In fact, their Wednesday tilt with the Texas Rangers being postponed was the best thing to happen so far.
You can blame the starting pitching for that.
Brandon McCarthy, who had come into Thursday's game with three straight excellent outings under his belt, surrendered six earned runs in just 2.2 innings of work. The D-backs lost 9-5.
Then, Friday, Wade Miley's struggles continued as the Cubs put up two runs in the first inning and five more in the third. The lefty's final line was seven innings pitched with seven earned runs, two walks and seven strikeouts in the 7-2 loss. He allowed three home runs.
Combined, the D-backs allowed 16 runs on 22 hits and four walks over the two games, with 13 of the runs and 16 of the hits coming off starting pitching.
If you're looking for a silver lining, though, you may find it in Miley's ability to preserve the bullpen. After being needed for 5.1 innings of work Thursday, the 'pen was only needed for a single inning Friday. As noted by Diamondbacks radio voice Jeff Munn:
The stats don't show it, but Wade Miley's outing was huge. He saved the bullpen. Could pay off the rest of the weekend.— Jeff Munn (@MunnyBall) May 31, 2013
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?