Updated May 14, 2013 - 9:25 am
Tale of the tape: Justin Upton trade
Formerly the cornerstone of the Arizona Diamondbacks franchise, Upton was dealt to the Atlanta Braves in January for a package of players that included infielder Martin Prado, pitchers Randall Delgado and Zeke Spruill, along with minor league shortstop Nick Ahmed and first baseman Brandon Drury. The D-backs also sent infielder Chris Johnson to Atlanta in the trade.
At the time, many felt the D-backs got the short end of the trade. Upton, 25, had yet to reach his prime, and his physical talent was undeniable.
However, the Diamondbacks were confident they got good value in return for the two-time All-Star in the seven-player trade.
Did they? Admittedly it's too early to tell, and if you look at win/loss records one could make the case that both the D-backs and Braves fared pretty well.
But baseball is a numbers game, so let's take a look at them.
First, the players at the Major League level:
|Player||Martin Prado||Justin Upton||Chris Johnson|
|BA w/RISP||.059, 4 RBI||.167, 7 RBI||.318, 9 RBI|
meaning of the
Now, the pitchers who are at Triple-A Reno.
|Minor League Pitchers||Randall Delgado (Triple-A Reno)||Zeke Spruill (Triple-A Reno)|
|Grit||Not as much
And finally, the two position players who are in the lower levels of the D-backs' farm system.
|Player||Nick Ahmed (Double-A Mobile)||Brandon Drury (Single-A South Bend)|
|Grit||Needs more||A little|
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.