Updated May 14, 2013 - 9:25 am
Tale of the tape: Justin Upton trade
Formerly the cornerstone of the Arizona Diamondbacks franchise, Upton was dealt to the Atlanta Braves in January for a package of players that included infielder Martin Prado, pitchers Randall Delgado and Zeke Spruill, along with minor league shortstop Nick Ahmed and first baseman Brandon Drury. The D-backs also sent infielder Chris Johnson to Atlanta in the trade.
At the time, many felt the D-backs got the short end of the trade. Upton, 25, had yet to reach his prime, and his physical talent was undeniable.
However, the Diamondbacks were confident they got good value in return for the two-time All-Star in the seven-player trade.
Did they? Admittedly it's too early to tell, and if you look at win/loss records one could make the case that both the D-backs and Braves fared pretty well.
But baseball is a numbers game, so let's take a look at them.
First, the players at the Major League level:
|Player||Martin Prado||Justin Upton||Chris Johnson|
|BA w/RISP||.059, 4 RBI||.167, 7 RBI||.318, 9 RBI|
meaning of the
Now, the pitchers who are at Triple-A Reno.
|Minor League Pitchers||Randall Delgado (Triple-A Reno)||Zeke Spruill (Triple-A Reno)|
|Grit||Not as much
And finally, the two position players who are in the lower levels of the D-backs' farm system.
|Player||Nick Ahmed (Double-A Mobile)||Brandon Drury (Single-A South Bend)|
|Grit||Needs more||A little|
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Matzek, Rockies silence Diamondbacks
- Nuno's strong outing squandered as Rockies shut out Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.