Updated May 8, 2013 - 1:41 pm
MLB analyst: Paul Goldschmidt has impressed scouts
Thirty-three games into the campaign, that could not be further from the truth.
They do have a superstar, and his name is Paul Goldschmidt.
The first baseman is hitting .314 with seven home runs and 27 RBI, with an OBP of .411 and an OPS of .956. He's also played excellent defense.
"I spoke to a scout about a week ago, who told me, 'I love Paul Goldschmidt,'" ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo.
Kurkjian said the scout told him Goldschmidt is a "self-made player" who is not without great ability, but "really works" at his craft.
The 25-year-old is in his second full Major League season -- and third overall -- and has seen his batting average rise each year. Known for his power, Goldschmidt has improved his plate discipline as well as contact rates.
"He's not quite there yet, but he's a very good young power hitter who's going to get even better from here," Kurkjian said. "And I know people around the league just rave at his strength, but they also rave now at his preparation and what it takes to hit in the big leagues."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Nuño denied first NL victory, D-backs bullpen implodes in crushing loss to Pirates
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.