Updated May 8, 2013 - 1:41 pm
MLB analyst: Paul Goldschmidt has impressed scouts
Thirty-three games into the campaign, that could not be further from the truth.
They do have a superstar, and his name is Paul Goldschmidt.
The first baseman is hitting .314 with seven home runs and 27 RBI, with an OBP of .411 and an OPS of .956. He's also played excellent defense.
"I spoke to a scout about a week ago, who told me, 'I love Paul Goldschmidt,'" ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo.
Kurkjian said the scout told him Goldschmidt is a "self-made player" who is not without great ability, but "really works" at his craft.
The 25-year-old is in his second full Major League season -- and third overall -- and has seen his batting average rise each year. Known for his power, Goldschmidt has improved his plate discipline as well as contact rates.
"He's not quite there yet, but he's a very good young power hitter who's going to get even better from here," Kurkjian said. "And I know people around the league just rave at his strength, but they also rave now at his preparation and what it takes to hit in the big leagues."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.