Updated May 8, 2013 - 1:41 pm
MLB analyst: Paul Goldschmidt has impressed scouts
Thirty-three games into the campaign, that could not be further from the truth.
They do have a superstar, and his name is Paul Goldschmidt.
The first baseman is hitting .314 with seven home runs and 27 RBI, with an OBP of .411 and an OPS of .956. He's also played excellent defense.
"I spoke to a scout about a week ago, who told me, 'I love Paul Goldschmidt,'" ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo.
Kurkjian said the scout told him Goldschmidt is a "self-made player" who is not without great ability, but "really works" at his craft.
The 25-year-old is in his second full Major League season -- and third overall -- and has seen his batting average rise each year. Known for his power, Goldschmidt has improved his plate discipline as well as contact rates.
"He's not quite there yet, but he's a very good young power hitter who's going to get even better from here," Kurkjian said. "And I know people around the league just rave at his strength, but they also rave now at his preparation and what it takes to hit in the big leagues."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- D-backs swept by Mets; end winless homestand
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.