Updated Apr 14, 2013 - 12:02 pm
Fantasy Baseball Weekly - Hot Starts
The most important point I wanted to make this week was building towards the future, both for this season and the ones down the road. A lot of people I know participate in "keeper" leagues, which allow you to retain some or all of your players as the seasons continue. When playing in these types of leagues it's always important to stay a step ahead of your competition by researching top prospects and players with statistical anomalies.
This year's top prospects are headlined by Texas Rangers farmhand Jurickson Profar. His brief stint in the MLB last September wasn't quite enough to land him an Opening Day roster spot but he'll be a household name before you know it. As far as the statistically gifted players go, Billy Hamilton is the best I've ever seen. He stole over 150 bases last season in the minors and has seven already this year in almost as many games. Not only was that a professional baseball record, but it's about 20 SBs more than the 2012 category leader from my fantasy league.
Again, 20 more steals than the league leader's entire team. That can win you a championship. This year Yahoo! leagues added an "NA" spot to their rosters. Much like the "DL" slot, the player who fills that space does not count as a member of your active roster. This presents a very easy opportunity to stash a prospect for the future, whether that's next month or next season.
Stay tuned for more episodes of Fantasy Baseball Weekly and be sure to tweet me questions @FanBallWeekly or post on the wall at facebook.com/FanBallWeekly.
I love you all except I'm getting sick of whoever keeps putting Yankees/Red Sox games on ESPN. Enough...please.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.