Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 5:04 pm
Wade Miley enjoys relatively easy day at 'the office'
Wednesday was not one of those days for Arizona Diamondbacks left-hander Wade Miley. The 26-year-old got early and plentiful run support and cruised to his second victory of the season in a 10-2 decision over the Pittsburgh Pirates at Chase Field.
Miley allowed two runs on six hits in 6.2 innings of work in the win.
"Those games get tough sometimes, with long innings, but you just have to stay focused and get the offense back on the field," he said.
Miley allowed a leadoff double to Pittsburgh's Starling Marte on the first pitch of the game, but settled down and retired the next three hitters to retire the side. The next time he stepped on the mound, he had a three-run cushion.
"He threw the ball great," manager Kirk Gibson said. "Moved in and out good, had a good slider, a good changeup.
"It was a great effort -- it was what we needed."
Indeed it was. The Diamondbacks were able to take the final game of the three-game series against Pittsburgh, thanks in part to Miley.
"You just want to go out every time, every one of us wants to go out and give the team a chance to win every time out," Miley said. "It's good to kind of salvage the series right there."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.