Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 5:04 pm
Wade Miley enjoys relatively easy day at 'the office'
Wednesday was not one of those days for Arizona Diamondbacks left-hander Wade Miley. The 26-year-old got early and plentiful run support and cruised to his second victory of the season in a 10-2 decision over the Pittsburgh Pirates at Chase Field.
Miley allowed two runs on six hits in 6.2 innings of work in the win.
"Those games get tough sometimes, with long innings, but you just have to stay focused and get the offense back on the field," he said.
Miley allowed a leadoff double to Pittsburgh's Starling Marte on the first pitch of the game, but settled down and retired the next three hitters to retire the side. The next time he stepped on the mound, he had a three-run cushion.
"He threw the ball great," manager Kirk Gibson said. "Moved in and out good, had a good slider, a good changeup.
"It was a great effort -- it was what we needed."
Indeed it was. The Diamondbacks were able to take the final game of the three-game series against Pittsburgh, thanks in part to Miley.
"You just want to go out every time, every one of us wants to go out and give the team a chance to win every time out," Miley said. "It's good to kind of salvage the series right there."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.