Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 4:36 pm
Grit Index: Diamondbacks destroy Pirates in series finale
The D-backs scored early and often with three runs in the first, three in the second and four in the fourth. Every D-back in the starting lineup reached base at least once, with the exception of starting pitcher Wade Miley.
Speaking of Miley, he had a solid outing, going 6.2 innings while giving up just two earned runs on the day. Miley now is now 2-0 on the season after earning his first win of 2013 against the Brewers last week in Milwaukee.
Not so much for Jonathan Sanchez of the Pirates. He lasted 3.1 innings and gave up eight hits, nine earned runs with four walks, two home runs and two strikeouts.
The offense clicked on all cylinders with ten runs on ten hits, but it was center fielder A.J. Pollock that was the human highlight reel. He went 3-for-5 with four RBI and three runs scored. Not only that, but his three hits were a double and two home runs. Pollock is now batting .273 on the season.
Not winning the series. The Pirates limped into Phoenix having lost four straight and scoring a grand total of 8 runs in their first six games, but plated 11 runs in two wins over the D-backs.
Pollock recorded his first career multi-home run game as a Major Leaguer. He's the first D-backs rookie to accomplish that feat since Juan Miranda did it on May 27th, 2011 against the Astros on the road on Houston.
Stat of the Day
Starter Wade Miley is now 5-0 in seven career games in the month of April, including four starts. He's also 7-0 in eight career day games, including seven starts.
The D-backs will have Thursday off before returning to Chase Field to start a series with the Los Angeles Dodgers on Friday night. Lefty Patrick Corbin is scheduled to make his second start of the 2013 season for Arizona, and he'll be opposed by Los Angeles' Clayton Kershaw, also a lefty. First pitch is at 6:40 p.m. on Arizona Sports 620.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.