Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 4:36 pm
Grit Index: Diamondbacks destroy Pirates in series finale
The D-backs scored early and often with three runs in the first, three in the second and four in the fourth. Every D-back in the starting lineup reached base at least once, with the exception of starting pitcher Wade Miley.
Speaking of Miley, he had a solid outing, going 6.2 innings while giving up just two earned runs on the day. Miley now is now 2-0 on the season after earning his first win of 2013 against the Brewers last week in Milwaukee.
Not so much for Jonathan Sanchez of the Pirates. He lasted 3.1 innings and gave up eight hits, nine earned runs with four walks, two home runs and two strikeouts.
The offense clicked on all cylinders with ten runs on ten hits, but it was center fielder A.J. Pollock that was the human highlight reel. He went 3-for-5 with four RBI and three runs scored. Not only that, but his three hits were a double and two home runs. Pollock is now batting .273 on the season.
Not winning the series. The Pirates limped into Phoenix having lost four straight and scoring a grand total of 8 runs in their first six games, but plated 11 runs in two wins over the D-backs.
Pollock recorded his first career multi-home run game as a Major Leaguer. He's the first D-backs rookie to accomplish that feat since Juan Miranda did it on May 27th, 2011 against the Astros on the road on Houston.
Stat of the Day
Starter Wade Miley is now 5-0 in seven career games in the month of April, including four starts. He's also 7-0 in eight career day games, including seven starts.
The D-backs will have Thursday off before returning to Chase Field to start a series with the Los Angeles Dodgers on Friday night. Lefty Patrick Corbin is scheduled to make his second start of the 2013 season for Arizona, and he'll be opposed by Los Angeles' Clayton Kershaw, also a lefty. First pitch is at 6:40 p.m. on Arizona Sports 620.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Miley struggles in opener, Phillies top D-backs: By The Numbers
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.