Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 4:36 pm
Grit Index: Diamondbacks destroy Pirates in series finale
The D-backs scored early and often with three runs in the first, three in the second and four in the fourth. Every D-back in the starting lineup reached base at least once, with the exception of starting pitcher Wade Miley.
Speaking of Miley, he had a solid outing, going 6.2 innings while giving up just two earned runs on the day. Miley now is now 2-0 on the season after earning his first win of 2013 against the Brewers last week in Milwaukee.
Not so much for Jonathan Sanchez of the Pirates. He lasted 3.1 innings and gave up eight hits, nine earned runs with four walks, two home runs and two strikeouts.
The offense clicked on all cylinders with ten runs on ten hits, but it was center fielder A.J. Pollock that was the human highlight reel. He went 3-for-5 with four RBI and three runs scored. Not only that, but his three hits were a double and two home runs. Pollock is now batting .273 on the season.
Not winning the series. The Pirates limped into Phoenix having lost four straight and scoring a grand total of 8 runs in their first six games, but plated 11 runs in two wins over the D-backs.
Pollock recorded his first career multi-home run game as a Major Leaguer. He's the first D-backs rookie to accomplish that feat since Juan Miranda did it on May 27th, 2011 against the Astros on the road on Houston.
Stat of the Day
Starter Wade Miley is now 5-0 in seven career games in the month of April, including four starts. He's also 7-0 in eight career day games, including seven starts.
The D-backs will have Thursday off before returning to Chase Field to start a series with the Los Angeles Dodgers on Friday night. Lefty Patrick Corbin is scheduled to make his second start of the 2013 season for Arizona, and he'll be opposed by Los Angeles' Clayton Kershaw, also a lefty. First pitch is at 6:40 p.m. on Arizona Sports 620.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Dose of Venom: Nuño denied first NL victory, D-backs bullpen implodes in crushing loss to Pirates
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.