Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 4:36 pm
Grit Index: Diamondbacks destroy Pirates in series finale
The D-backs scored early and often with three runs in the first, three in the second and four in the fourth. Every D-back in the starting lineup reached base at least once, with the exception of starting pitcher Wade Miley.
Speaking of Miley, he had a solid outing, going 6.2 innings while giving up just two earned runs on the day. Miley now is now 2-0 on the season after earning his first win of 2013 against the Brewers last week in Milwaukee.
Not so much for Jonathan Sanchez of the Pirates. He lasted 3.1 innings and gave up eight hits, nine earned runs with four walks, two home runs and two strikeouts.
The offense clicked on all cylinders with ten runs on ten hits, but it was center fielder A.J. Pollock that was the human highlight reel. He went 3-for-5 with four RBI and three runs scored. Not only that, but his three hits were a double and two home runs. Pollock is now batting .273 on the season.
Not winning the series. The Pirates limped into Phoenix having lost four straight and scoring a grand total of 8 runs in their first six games, but plated 11 runs in two wins over the D-backs.
Pollock recorded his first career multi-home run game as a Major Leaguer. He's the first D-backs rookie to accomplish that feat since Juan Miranda did it on May 27th, 2011 against the Astros on the road on Houston.
Stat of the Day
Starter Wade Miley is now 5-0 in seven career games in the month of April, including four starts. He's also 7-0 in eight career day games, including seven starts.
The D-backs will have Thursday off before returning to Chase Field to start a series with the Los Angeles Dodgers on Friday night. Lefty Patrick Corbin is scheduled to make his second start of the 2013 season for Arizona, and he'll be opposed by Los Angeles' Clayton Kershaw, also a lefty. First pitch is at 6:40 p.m. on Arizona Sports 620.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 620
- The Pulse: 'Let's wait and see' on Addison Reed-Matt Davidson trade
- Report: D-backs bring back 3B Eric Chavez for 2014 season
- D-backs GM: Archie Bradley has chance to be 'special in a hurry'
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks have not signed reliever Jose Valverde to minor-league deal
- Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers: 'There will be competition' for closer spot
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs Pitcher - Wednesday December 18D-backs trying to win now, Ziggy talks about what that means for the clubhouse.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.