Updated Apr 10, 2013 - 4:36 pm
Grit Index: Diamondbacks destroy Pirates in series finale
The D-backs scored early and often with three runs in the first, three in the second and four in the fourth. Every D-back in the starting lineup reached base at least once, with the exception of starting pitcher Wade Miley.
Speaking of Miley, he had a solid outing, going 6.2 innings while giving up just two earned runs on the day. Miley now is now 2-0 on the season after earning his first win of 2013 against the Brewers last week in Milwaukee.
Not so much for Jonathan Sanchez of the Pirates. He lasted 3.1 innings and gave up eight hits, nine earned runs with four walks, two home runs and two strikeouts.
The offense clicked on all cylinders with ten runs on ten hits, but it was center fielder A.J. Pollock that was the human highlight reel. He went 3-for-5 with four RBI and three runs scored. Not only that, but his three hits were a double and two home runs. Pollock is now batting .273 on the season.
Not winning the series. The Pirates limped into Phoenix having lost four straight and scoring a grand total of 8 runs in their first six games, but plated 11 runs in two wins over the D-backs.
Pollock recorded his first career multi-home run game as a Major Leaguer. He's the first D-backs rookie to accomplish that feat since Juan Miranda did it on May 27th, 2011 against the Astros on the road on Houston.
Stat of the Day
Starter Wade Miley is now 5-0 in seven career games in the month of April, including four starts. He's also 7-0 in eight career day games, including seven starts.
The D-backs will have Thursday off before returning to Chase Field to start a series with the Los Angeles Dodgers on Friday night. Lefty Patrick Corbin is scheduled to make his second start of the 2013 season for Arizona, and he'll be opposed by Los Angeles' Clayton Kershaw, also a lefty. First pitch is at 6:40 p.m. on Arizona Sports 620.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.