Updated Mar 10, 2013 - 4:56 pm
Skaggs, Diamondbacks falter in loss to the A's
"I don't think we played a very clean game today, overall," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said after the game.
In his second start of the spring, Skaggs allowed four hits and four runs while walking two in four innings pitched. The performance marked his third Cactus League appearance, and the young left-hander now has a 12.79 ERA to go along with an 0-2 record.
A.J. Pollock and Paul Goldschmidt provided a good share of the D-backs' early offense. Pollock went 1-for-3 with a stolen base and a first-inning RBI, while Goldschmidt -- the team's starting DH for the contest -- went 2-for-3 and scored a run.
Chris Owings added a long two-run home run off of A's reliever Hideki Okajima in the D-backs' ninth, scoring outfielder Ollie Linton.
D-backs pitchers, meanwhile, combined to strikeout just one batter on the day, walking five and allowing seven hits.
He Said It:
"Numbers mean nothing in spring training. It's all about how you feel and what the coaches see. Basically, Spring Training's a confidence builder and today just added to confidence that I have out there." -- Tyler Skaggs
Trevor Cahill and the Diamondbacks (6-8) are scheduled to face the Cubs at Salt River Fields on Monday. Josh Collmenter, David Holmberg and Eric Smith are each scheduled to make pitching appearances, while Jeff Samardzija will take the mound for the Cubs. First pitch is at 1:10 p.m. MDT.
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: D-backs set sights on acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.