Updated Mar 10, 2013 - 4:56 pm
Skaggs, Diamondbacks falter in loss to the A's
"I don't think we played a very clean game today, overall," D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said after the game.
In his second start of the spring, Skaggs allowed four hits and four runs while walking two in four innings pitched. The performance marked his third Cactus League appearance, and the young left-hander now has a 12.79 ERA to go along with an 0-2 record.
A.J. Pollock and Paul Goldschmidt provided a good share of the D-backs' early offense. Pollock went 1-for-3 with a stolen base and a first-inning RBI, while Goldschmidt -- the team's starting DH for the contest -- went 2-for-3 and scored a run.
Chris Owings added a long two-run home run off of A's reliever Hideki Okajima in the D-backs' ninth, scoring outfielder Ollie Linton.
D-backs pitchers, meanwhile, combined to strikeout just one batter on the day, walking five and allowing seven hits.
He Said It:
"Numbers mean nothing in spring training. It's all about how you feel and what the coaches see. Basically, Spring Training's a confidence builder and today just added to confidence that I have out there." -- Tyler Skaggs
Trevor Cahill and the Diamondbacks (6-8) are scheduled to face the Cubs at Salt River Fields on Monday. Josh Collmenter, David Holmberg and Eric Smith are each scheduled to make pitching appearances, while Jeff Samardzija will take the mound for the Cubs. First pitch is at 1:10 p.m. MDT.
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.