Didi Gregorius takes batting practice, likely to DH soon
New Arizona Diamondback Didi Gregorius is showing progress from an injury that has kept him off the field so far this spring.
The shortstop took batting practice on Wednesday and will likely start seeing game action soon.
"[Gregorius] took live BP with the minor leaguers," Gibson said Wednesday before the D-backs' spring game with the Royals. "Actually last night I had him warmed up four times to pinch run, so we're going to start integrating him into baseball activities. He threw again today and said it's going great."
Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers said he had a "slight strain of the UCL area, right elbow" back in mid-February just before spring training started.
Gregorius is still working on arm strength but he's expected to get game at-bats on Thursday as the designated hitter.
He is throwing up to 60 feet and has not had any setbacks.
Gregorius was acquired by the team back in December in a trade that sent Trevor Bauer to the Indians.
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report.
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.