Updated Feb 26, 2013 - 1:24 pm
Miguel Montero to miss second straight game with thumb injury
On Monday Montero was a late scratch from the team's lineup against the Royals in Surprise. Early reports were that Montero was dealing with a splinter in his thumb, but on Tuesday said he's not sure why his thumb swelled. The trainers cut it open and there was no splinter, just some puss.
Manager Kirk Gibson confirmed to reporters Tuesday that Montero would be missing another day, but thinks the catcher should be ready to play on Wednesday.
"It is still a little swollen. Hoping he can play tomorrow," he said. "It's much better but it looked like it was getting infected [Monday] so they've been treating it for that and it seems to be getting calmed down."
Montero had his thumb wrapped again Tuesday but was also eyeing Wednesday for a return to the lineup.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.