Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 2:27 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks avoid arbitration with four players
According to a team press release, the D-backs agreed to terms on one-year contracts with ace Ian Kennedy, right-handed pitcher Brad Ziegler, infielder Chris Johnson and left-handed hurler Tony Sipp.
Kennedy had a record of 15-12 with a 4.02 ERA last season for the D-backs. The 28-year-old was nominated for the National League Cy Young Award in 2011 after posting a 21-4 record and helped lead the D-backs to the National League West title.
The 28-year-old Johnson was acquired in July for the Astros to help bolster third base from the D-backs, who had struggled to gain production out of that position in 2012. He hit .281 with 15 home runs and 76 RBI in 136 games combined with Houston and Arizona last season.
The 33-year-old Ziegler posted career-best marks in wins, innings pitched, opponents average and appearances in his first full campaign with Arizona last season. The 33-year-old has emerged as an integral part of the D-backs bullpen.
Sipp held a 1-2 record with one save and a 4.42 ERA in 63 games with the Cleveland Indians last year. He came to the D-backs via a three-team trade on December 10, 2012.
The D-backs have still have not reached deals with two other arbitration-eligible players Gerardo Parra and Cliff Pennington.
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.