Updated Dec 6, 2012 - 11:29 am
MLB writer believes Diamondbacks will trade Justin Upton
Arguably the most talked about player during the Winter Meetings in Nashville, TN, Upton may very well be dealt over the next few weeks.
Regardless, Justice said there is a belief that Upton, wherever he is, has some good years ahead of him.
"I tell you, baseball executives think he's going to be, if not a superstar, a real big-time star over the next five years," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. That said, he understands why Arizona would consider dealing the former number one pick.
"So while you're building a franchise, the Diamondbacks have all kinds of starting pitching, but they have other needs and if you can satisfy some of those needs you ought to be at least in a listening mode."
Upton, who hit .280 with 17 home runs and 67 RBI last year, is an interesting player to try and project. He's played in two All-Star games and is just one year removed from a season in which he garnered MVP consideration.
But is that as good as it gets for Upton? If so, the D-backs may be wise to deal him now rather than wait for him to make good on his vast potential.
"I trust the analytics people, and they love the guy," Justice said. "They think the guy's on the path to being a real elite player in the league."
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.