Shawn Marion says Phoenix will always have a special place in his heart
Marion spent 8.5 years with the Suns, represented them in four All-Star games and ranks in the franchise's top five in field goals, three-pointers, rebounds, steals, blocked shots and points.
However, Marion has only one championship ring, which he earned as part of the 2011 Dallas Mavericks that knocked off LeBron James and the Miami Heat in six games.
Entering free agency for the first time since 2009, Marion joined Burns and Gambo Wednesday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM and said he doesn't necessarily plan on retiring as a Maverick.
"That's not what I said, I didn't say that," Marion stated. "I said that I didn't know where I was going to retire (in the league), because I can't dictate what's going to happen this summer, I can't control anything.
"If it happens, it happens, but what I said was I was going to retire (after the playing days are over) in the Dallas community."
Marion, 36, appears to have some fuel left in the tank after averaging 10.5 points and 6.5 rebounds in 76 starts for the Mavericks last season.
"I want to play a couple more years," he said, adding that his preference is to re-sign with Dallas, but he's open to other locales. "My ultimate goal is to win another championship, so it's wherever I feel is the best chance to win another championship."
Regardless of where he lands, the Valley will always be special in Marion's heart.
"I definitely love Phoenix, I have a place there and I've got a lot of friends there still," he said. "I watched the city grow. I was a part of the city when it was growing and maturing. It was a great run."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.