Former Suns executive Griffin not surprised by team's success
Now the interim general manager of the Cleveland Cavaliers, he has a unique perspective on what's happening in the Valley.
A guest of Burns and Gambo's on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday, he said their success really isn't much of a surprise within NBA circles.
"I don't know who thought they were going to be one of the worst teams in the league," Griffin said. "Nobody who knew the league and knew their talent really believed that."
Griffin said the Suns were (and are) a young team, but that they got a real good coach in Jeff Hornacek to guide it.
"He's somebody who's running a lot of the Cotton Fitzsimmons things that he played in and had great success with," Griffin added. "And the Suns organization has always been about open-floor basketball and about playing the game unselfishly, so Jeff has certainly brought that in."
Griffin, though, made sure to commend the job his counterpart in Phoenix has done to reshape the roster and build a winner. After winning just 25 games last season, the Suns are already at 36 victories with 19 games remaining in the season. They are currently one game back of a Western Conference playoff spot.
"Ryan McDonough, the GM, has done an absolutely spectacular job," he said. "If he doesn't get several votes for Executive of the Year, people just aren't paying attention."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.