Former Suns executive Griffin not surprised by team's success
Now the interim general manager of the Cleveland Cavaliers, he has a unique perspective on what's happening in the Valley.
A guest of Burns and Gambo's on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Wednesday, he said their success really isn't much of a surprise within NBA circles.
"I don't know who thought they were going to be one of the worst teams in the league," Griffin said. "Nobody who knew the league and knew their talent really believed that."
Griffin said the Suns were (and are) a young team, but that they got a real good coach in Jeff Hornacek to guide it.
"He's somebody who's running a lot of the Cotton Fitzsimmons things that he played in and had great success with," Griffin added. "And the Suns organization has always been about open-floor basketball and about playing the game unselfishly, so Jeff has certainly brought that in."
Griffin, though, made sure to commend the job his counterpart in Phoenix has done to reshape the roster and build a winner. After winning just 25 games last season, the Suns are already at 36 victories with 19 games remaining in the season. They are currently one game back of a Western Conference playoff spot.
"Ryan McDonough, the GM, has done an absolutely spectacular job," he said. "If he doesn't get several votes for Executive of the Year, people just aren't paying attention."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.