Updated Jan 9, 2014 - 3:04 pm
Phoenix Suns guard Eric Bledsoe to undergo knee surgery
Out more than a week with what was called a right knee sprain, guard Eric Bledsoe will reportedly be going under the knife.
According to Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's John Gambadoro, Bledsoe has a torn meniscus.
Acquired in the offseason in a deal that saw the Suns part with Jared Dudley, the 24-year-old Bledsoe has averaged 18 points, 5.8 assists and 4.3 rebounds per game in his first extended time as an NBA starter.
Earlier in the week, Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said the team hoped to learn more about Bledsoe's situation later in the week. Though things could be worse, this is not the type of news the first-year coach wanted to hear.
And at least one NBA star is disappointed with the news:
The Suns currently have a 21-13 record and are in the midst of a road trip that has them playing five games in seven days. Their next matchup will be Friday, Jan. 10 against the Memphis Grizzlies.
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t