Updated Jan 9, 2014 - 3:04 pm
Phoenix Suns guard Eric Bledsoe to undergo knee surgery
Out more than a week with what was called a right knee sprain, guard Eric Bledsoe will reportedly be going under the knife.
According to Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's John Gambadoro, Bledsoe has a torn meniscus.
Acquired in the offseason in a deal that saw the Suns part with Jared Dudley, the 24-year-old Bledsoe has averaged 18 points, 5.8 assists and 4.3 rebounds per game in his first extended time as an NBA starter.
Earlier in the week, Suns coach Jeff Hornacek said the team hoped to learn more about Bledsoe's situation later in the week. Though things could be worse, this is not the type of news the first-year coach wanted to hear.
And at least one NBA star is disappointed with the news:
The Suns currently have a 21-13 record and are in the midst of a road trip that has them playing five games in seven days. Their next matchup will be Friday, Jan. 10 against the Memphis Grizzlies.
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Phoenix Suns waive guard Dionte Christmas
- P.J. Tucker and cash deserved
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.