Phoenix Suns coach: Miles Plumlee improves every day
And it's not just because he's the tallest.
Miles Plumlee, who was acquired from Indiana in the trade that saw the Suns part with Luis Scola, is averaging 9.7 points, 9.1 rebounds and 1.8 blocks in just more than 28 minutes per night.
In Monday's win over the Lakers, he scored 17 points while pulling down a career-high 20 rebounds.
From hardly playing last year as a rookie to starting for a playoff contender, Plumlee's ascent has been both surprising and crucial to the team's success.
"We knew we'd get rebounding and athleticism, some blocked shots, we didn't think he'd be able to put the ball in the bucket except for a dunk," Suns coach Jeff Hornacek told Doug and Wolf Thursday. "But he's really worked on it. He came to the city about a month prior to the preseason starting and worked on his game with our coaches and he continues to improve every day."
Plumlee was originally selected by the Pacers with the 26th pick in the first round of the 2012 Draft, but saw action in just 14 games for the team. He played collegiately at Duke, and averaged 6.6 points with 7.1 rebounds and just under a block per game as a senior.
He's come a long way since then.
"It's a great first step for him," Hornacek added. "Where he's at now, he's only going to get better."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.