Updated Nov 21, 2013 - 4:50 pm
NBA Insider: Suns love Utah's Gordon Hayward
Under new general manager Ryan McDonough, the Suns have re-tooled their roster and put themselves in an enviable position to improve either through the draft (they could have four first-round picks next summer) or through a trade (see the last parenthetical.)
Longtime NBA insider Peter Vecsey tweeted Wednesday night that the Suns already have their eye on a free agent target in 2014.
According to a GM, the Suns will do everything possible this summer to sign Gordon Hayward to an unmatchable offer sheet....— Peter Vecsey (@PeterVecsey1) November 21, 2013
Hayward, a fourth-year pro for the Utah Jazz, will be a restricted free agent following the season. The deadline for Utah to extend Hayward's contract expired October 31, and according to reports, the player's camp was seeking a deal in the neighborhood of $50 million over four years.
The Jazz drafted Hayward out of Butler ninth overall in 2010, and the 6-foot-8 wing learned under current Suns head coach Jeff Hornacek, who spent three seasons as an assistant in Utah.
Hayward is currently averaging 18.2 points and 5.9 rebounds per game for the woeful Jazz who, at 1-12, sport the NBA's worst record.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Jeff Hornacek: We got it back to Phoenix Suns basketball
- Suns' Jeff Hornacek finishes behind Spurs' Gregg Popovich in Coach of the Year voting
- Phoenix Suns' vocal, emotional leader P.J. Tucker wants to return
- Suns analyst: Team would benefit from veteran experience, clutch performer
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Friday April 18Does Eric Bledsoe want to spend the prime of his career with the Suns?