ESPN Insider: Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe among early season surprises
ESPN's Kevin Pelton wrote about both the Suns' and Bledsoe's unexpected starts in his Insider piece. And although other Phoenix players -- including Gerald Green and Miles Plumlee -- have put up more surprising numbers, according to Pelton, Bledsoe's ability to run the offense has been the most important development in the young season.
Pelton noted that because of the Suns' increased reliance on Bledsoe given Goran Dragic's recent ankle injury, the fourth-year pro ranks fifth in the league with 6.6 minutes of possession per game. Handed the reigns of the offense, Pelton said Bledsoe's handled the challenge with ease.
Not only is he averaging 7.7 assists per 36 minutes -- nearly 50 percent better than last season's mark -- Bledsoe has used more than a quarter of the team's plays while making 60.3 percent of his 2-point attempts and providing his usual sensational defense. Turns out Bledsoe learned a little something about running the pick-and-roll from playing behind Chris Paul the past two seasons. According to Synergy Sports Technology, he ranks fifth in the NBA in points created on pick-and-rolls (105).
Bledsoe came over to the Suns after a three-team trade with the Los Angeles Clippers and the Milwaukee Bucks. Although he didn't sign a contract extension with the team in late October and is set to become a restricted free agent after the season, Bledsoe is considered a major part of the Suns' future.
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic: 'I'm going to try to get better every year'
- Phoenix Suns' Goran Dragic named NBA's Most Improved Player
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.