ESPN Insider: Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe among early season surprises
ESPN's Kevin Pelton wrote about both the Suns' and Bledsoe's unexpected starts in his Insider piece. And although other Phoenix players -- including Gerald Green and Miles Plumlee -- have put up more surprising numbers, according to Pelton, Bledsoe's ability to run the offense has been the most important development in the young season.
Pelton noted that because of the Suns' increased reliance on Bledsoe given Goran Dragic's recent ankle injury, the fourth-year pro ranks fifth in the league with 6.6 minutes of possession per game. Handed the reigns of the offense, Pelton said Bledsoe's handled the challenge with ease.
Not only is he averaging 7.7 assists per 36 minutes -- nearly 50 percent better than last season's mark -- Bledsoe has used more than a quarter of the team's plays while making 60.3 percent of his 2-point attempts and providing his usual sensational defense. Turns out Bledsoe learned a little something about running the pick-and-roll from playing behind Chris Paul the past two seasons. According to Synergy Sports Technology, he ranks fifth in the NBA in points created on pick-and-rolls (105).
Bledsoe came over to the Suns after a three-team trade with the Los Angeles Clippers and the Milwaukee Bucks. Although he didn't sign a contract extension with the team in late October and is set to become a restricted free agent after the season, Bledsoe is considered a major part of the Suns' future.
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset with success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?