ESPN Insider: Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe among early season surprises
ESPN's Kevin Pelton wrote about both the Suns' and Bledsoe's unexpected starts in his Insider piece. And although other Phoenix players -- including Gerald Green and Miles Plumlee -- have put up more surprising numbers, according to Pelton, Bledsoe's ability to run the offense has been the most important development in the young season.
Pelton noted that because of the Suns' increased reliance on Bledsoe given Goran Dragic's recent ankle injury, the fourth-year pro ranks fifth in the league with 6.6 minutes of possession per game. Handed the reigns of the offense, Pelton said Bledsoe's handled the challenge with ease.
Not only is he averaging 7.7 assists per 36 minutes -- nearly 50 percent better than last season's mark -- Bledsoe has used more than a quarter of the team's plays while making 60.3 percent of his 2-point attempts and providing his usual sensational defense. Turns out Bledsoe learned a little something about running the pick-and-roll from playing behind Chris Paul the past two seasons. According to Synergy Sports Technology, he ranks fifth in the NBA in points created on pick-and-rolls (105).
Bledsoe came over to the Suns after a three-team trade with the Los Angeles Clippers and the Milwaukee Bucks. Although he didn't sign a contract extension with the team in late October and is set to become a restricted free agent after the season, Bledsoe is considered a major part of the Suns' future.
- Owner Robert Sarver: Phoenix Suns not trying to lowball RFA Eric Bledsoe
- An open letter to Eric Bledsoe
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- Robert Sarver, Phoenix Suns Owner - Friday August 1Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver joins the show to discuss Gambo's letter to Eric Bledsoe.
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.