Updated Nov 5, 2013 - 5:45 pm
ESPN Insider: Channing Frye could be good trade candidate
The word "tank" is shunned, but there is an understanding that any lumps that may be associated with giving inexperienced players significant minutes will be worth it in the end.
So, one is left to wonder where some of the team's veterans fit in.
It is with that in mind that Amin Elhassan, in an ESPN Insider piece, mentioned Channing Frye as one of the NBA's "top fire-sale candidates."
One of the preeminent stretch bigs prior to missing the entire 2012-13 season due to a heart condition, Frye still is trying to regain his stamina and timing, not to mention his touch. When healthy, he's an elite 3-point shooter, and he's done a good job of slowly expanding his game to include one-dribble pull-ups versus hard contests and mid- and low-post shots over smaller defenders.
Defensively, he's an underrated post defender and an average defensive rebounder, but he probably would benefit from playing alongside an athletic defensive big. If he can show a return to form, Frye's manageable contract ($6.6 million AAV) and skill set will make him a hot commodity in the fire-sale market.
The 30-year-old Frye is averaging 10 points and four rebounds in 26 minutes per game this season, and has career averages of 9.7 points and 5.2 rebounds per contest.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- After grueling stretch, Phoenix Suns hope to make up ground in March
- Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker suspended by the NBA
- What do you want to be, Eric Bledsoe?
- Coach Jeff Hornacek: Suns 'need to get out of their comfort zone' after recent losses
- Griffin, Clippers top Suns in testy divisional affair: By the Numbers
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Tuesday March 11Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the return of Eric Bledsoe.
- Jeff Hornacek, Phoenix Suns Head Coach - Tuesday March 11Do the Suns lack toughness?
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 10A fishy election in North Korea
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t