Updated Jun 16, 2013 - 2:59 pm
Ryan McDonough gives new Suns' assistant GM high praise
Saturday, McDonough was asked about Pat Connelly, who along with Trevor Bukstein will work as an assistant general manager with the Suns, and the 33-year-old gave a glowing review.
"Pat brings a wealth of scouting knowledge at all levels," McDonough said. "I've been around the world with Pat scouting, and all over Europe at different locations. He knows the college guys, he knows the high school guys. He's been watching players a long time at different levels."
Connelly previously worked from 2006-2013 with the Washington Wizards, including the past two seasons as the team's VP of Player Personnel. Before his time with the Wizards, the Suns new assistant GM served as a graduate assistant for Baylor and as an assistant coach for the Brighton Bears out of the British League.
"For me, it was important to bring in somebody as I talked about at my introductory press conference who is a master evaluator and a worldwide scout who knows all the players at different levels and can compare them," said McDonough. "I think Pat's one of the better guys in the NBA, if not the world at doing that."
McDonough noted that while he never worked directly with Connelly in the past, from their limited conversations on the road, he was impressed by the Baltimore native's knowledge and work ethic.
Connelly's older brother, Tim, currently holds the same position with the New Orleans Pelicans under Del Demps.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Phoenix Suns hope Eric Bledsoe ‘ready to go' next week
- Newly signed center Shavlik Randolph has close ties to Suns GM, players
- Phoenix Suns center Miles Plumlee to miss second straight game
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Thursday March 6Lon Babby talks about the Suns recent injury woes.
- The DISH - March 6, 2014 - Thursday March 6Jon Bloom takes the Suns time machine back to 2000 and a big late season victory at home.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday March 6What's the best way to prepare for games on the road?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday March 5Suns GM Ryan McDonough reacts to the team's loss to the Clippers.
- The DISH - March 4, 2013 - Tuesday March 4Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.