Updated Jun 16, 2013 - 2:59 pm
Ryan McDonough gives new Suns' assistant GM high praise
Saturday, McDonough was asked about Pat Connelly, who along with Trevor Bukstein will work as an assistant general manager with the Suns, and the 33-year-old gave a glowing review.
"Pat brings a wealth of scouting knowledge at all levels," McDonough said. "I've been around the world with Pat scouting, and all over Europe at different locations. He knows the college guys, he knows the high school guys. He's been watching players a long time at different levels."
Connelly previously worked from 2006-2013 with the Washington Wizards, including the past two seasons as the team's VP of Player Personnel. Before his time with the Wizards, the Suns new assistant GM served as a graduate assistant for Baylor and as an assistant coach for the Brighton Bears out of the British League.
"For me, it was important to bring in somebody as I talked about at my introductory press conference who is a master evaluator and a worldwide scout who knows all the players at different levels and can compare them," said McDonough. "I think Pat's one of the better guys in the NBA, if not the world at doing that."
McDonough noted that while he never worked directly with Connelly in the past, from their limited conversations on the road, he was impressed by the Baltimore native's knowledge and work ethic.
Connelly's older brother, Tim, currently holds the same position with the New Orleans Pelicans under Del Demps.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Friday April 18Does Eric Bledsoe want to spend the prime of his career with the Suns?
- Jon Barry, ESPN NBA insider - Friday April 18Who is the team to beat in the East?
- Channing Frye, Suns forward - Thursday April 17Channing discusses the Suns' completed season, and what he is looking forward to in the offseason.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday April 17Lon Babby reacts to the Suns' season and talks with the guys about the optimism surrounding the org