Updated May 31, 2013 - 4:22 pm
Former Suns GM Kerr thinks team is heading in the right direction
That was 2010, and now Kerr is an NBA analyst for TNT.
A guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Friday, Kerr said it will take a little while to rebuild the team, but that the hires of Ryan McDonough as GM and Jeff Hornacek as head coach are steps in the right direction for the team.
"I met Ryan before he was considered for the job and he called me when he went through the interview process to ask me about the situation," Kerr said. "I was really impressed. He's sharp and he's hungry. He's going to work hard and I think he's going to enjoy what he does."
McDonough, though, is only half of the offseason overhaul that has restored a bit of hope to Planet Orange.
"I was a teammate of Jeff my rookie year in Phoenix and he was here, and he was kind of a mentor for me," Kerr said, adding he thinks very highly of the Suns' new coach. "I think it was a great hire because of his connection to the Suns, not only the fact that he's smart and a great guy and players will like playing for him, but I think it's important to keep that connection to the past with the great history of the organization."
But, as Kerr said, don't expect the franchise's fortunes to change overnight. While the McDonough/Hornacek duo may ultimately do well for the team, it's going to take time for the results to really show on the court. After all, the Suns won 25 games last year for a reason.
"This is how it goes in the NBA," he said. "Everything goes in cycles and I think this is kind of the ground floor of what's going to be a good run for Phoenix."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?