Updated May 21, 2013 - 6:34 pm
Jared Dudley: Next Suns coach needs to develop talent, teach fundamentals
Dudley, who has already played for five coaches (Sam Vincent, Larry Brown, Terry Porter, Alvin Gentry and Lindsey Hunter) during his NBA career, told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday that prior pro experience shouldn't be the determining factor.
"You can show me examples of people who haven't played and who have been successful, and people who have played and been successful," Dudley said. "My whole thing is you need someone -- with our team being a young team -- who can develop young talent. We have three first-round picks still here after this year's draft."
The Suns' youth and subsequent inability to execute fundamentals certainly played a role in the team's disappointing 25-57 campaign in 2012-13. Phoenix was second-worst in the league in turnovers per game (14.9) and third-worst in point differential (-6.4) this season.
The way Dudley sees it, the next coach can't just be one-dimensional, though. In addition to developing talent, the Suns forward believes being a respected teacher is pivotal to the position.
"We lack the ball movement and knowing all the plays and counters," said Dudley. "So, we need someone who knows X's and O's really, really good and can show us that. If he can play X spot or coach it, we'll take him."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Though surprised by Suns' success, Sarver didn't see tanking as a good option
- Phoenix Suns owner: The only question is how much we'll be paying Eric Bledsoe
- Tweaks -- not major changes -- ahead for the Phoenix Suns
- GM: Eric Bledsoe will be a Phoenix Suns player 'for a long time'
- Pau Gasol to the Phoenix Suns makes a lot of sense
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Friday April 18Does Eric Bledsoe want to spend the prime of his career with the Suns?
- Jon Barry, ESPN NBA insider - Friday April 18Who is the team to beat in the East?
- Channing Frye, Suns forward - Thursday April 17Channing discusses the Suns' completed season, and what he is looking forward to in the offseason.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday April 17Lon Babby reacts to the Suns' season and talks with the guys about the optimism surrounding the org