Updated May 21, 2013 - 6:34 pm
Jared Dudley: Next Suns coach needs to develop talent, teach fundamentals
Dudley, who has already played for five coaches (Sam Vincent, Larry Brown, Terry Porter, Alvin Gentry and Lindsey Hunter) during his NBA career, told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday that prior pro experience shouldn't be the determining factor.
"You can show me examples of people who haven't played and who have been successful, and people who have played and been successful," Dudley said. "My whole thing is you need someone -- with our team being a young team -- who can develop young talent. We have three first-round picks still here after this year's draft."
The Suns' youth and subsequent inability to execute fundamentals certainly played a role in the team's disappointing 25-57 campaign in 2012-13. Phoenix was second-worst in the league in turnovers per game (14.9) and third-worst in point differential (-6.4) this season.
The way Dudley sees it, the next coach can't just be one-dimensional, though. In addition to developing talent, the Suns forward believes being a respected teacher is pivotal to the position.
"We lack the ball movement and knowing all the plays and counters," said Dudley. "So, we need someone who knows X's and O's really, really good and can show us that. If he can play X spot or coach it, we'll take him."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns relationship with Bledsoe described as headed towards ruined
- The Pulse: Fans say Suns need to negotiate smaller contract with Eric Bledsoe
- Report: Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker arrested in Scottsdale in May for extreme DUI
- ESPN Insider: Goran Dragic is a max-contract candidate after next season
- Eric Bledsoe: 'I can understand the Suns are using restricted free agency against me'
- Chris Sheridan - Tuesday July 22Chris Sheridan weighs in on if Kevin Love will join LeBron in Cleveland.
- Ryan McDonough, Phoenix Suns general manager - Monday July 21General manager Ryan McDonough talks about the Phoenix Suns' offseason plans.
- Isaiah Thomas, Phoenix Suns point guard - Monday July 21Isaiah Thomas talks about his skill set and what he brings to the franchise.
- Marc Spears, Yahoo NBA writer - Friday July 18Yahoo NBA writer Marc Spears says the Warriors are backing out from a Kevin Love trade.
- Paul Coro, AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer - Thursday July 17AZCentral Sports Suns beat writer Paul Coro talks about the continuing free agency of Eric Bledsoe.