Updated May 21, 2013 - 6:34 pm
Jared Dudley: Next Suns coach needs to develop talent, teach fundamentals
Dudley, who has already played for five coaches (Sam Vincent, Larry Brown, Terry Porter, Alvin Gentry and Lindsey Hunter) during his NBA career, told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday that prior pro experience shouldn't be the determining factor.
"You can show me examples of people who haven't played and who have been successful, and people who have played and been successful," Dudley said. "My whole thing is you need someone -- with our team being a young team -- who can develop young talent. We have three first-round picks still here after this year's draft."
The Suns' youth and subsequent inability to execute fundamentals certainly played a role in the team's disappointing 25-57 campaign in 2012-13. Phoenix was second-worst in the league in turnovers per game (14.9) and third-worst in point differential (-6.4) this season.
The way Dudley sees it, the next coach can't just be one-dimensional, though. In addition to developing talent, the Suns forward believes being a respected teacher is pivotal to the position.
"We lack the ball movement and knowing all the plays and counters," said Dudley. "So, we need someone who knows X's and O's really, really good and can show us that. If he can play X spot or coach it, we'll take him."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Your Top Plays for Today
- Phoenix Suns' Channing Frye finishes third in NBA Sportsmanship Award voting
- Suns' Hornacek on Len, Goodwin: 'We couldn't just throw them out there and hope for the best'
- The Pulse: NBA Playoffs will have your attention over summer
- Suns guard Goran Dragic: 'Consistency' was vital in winning Most Improved Player award
- Goran Dragic, Suns guard - Wednesday April 23Suns guard Goran Dragic talks about winning the Most Improved Player of the Year Award.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Wednesday April 23Tim Kempton defends his vote for Defensive Player of the Year.
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.