Updated May 7, 2013 - 10:50 am
Suns name Ryan McDonough general manager
McDonough, 33, comes to the Suns after spending the last two seasons as the assistant general manager of the Boston Celtics. The Massachusetts native also has experience as Boston's director of player personnel, director of international scouting, director of amateur scouting and special assistant in the basketball operations department.
"Ryan distinguished himself among an impressive group of candidates for our GM position," said Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby in a press release. "His natural leadership and communication skills will serve the Suns well. And, his prodigious work ethic and ability to identify talent will enable us to take full advantage of the 10 draft choices, including six in the first round, that we have over the next three years. We welcome his championship pedigree to our organization."
McDonough replaces Lance Blanks, who was fired April 22 after three years on the job. The Suns went 98-132 under Blanks' watch and missed the playoffs all three seasons.
Several reports indicated the Suns also had interest in Milwaukee assistant general manager Jeff Weltman and San Antonio assistant general manager Scott Layden.
The Suns will formally introduce McDonough in a press conference that is scheduled for Thursday, May 9, at 11:30 a.m. at the US Airways Center.
- Channing Frye, Suns forward - Thursday April 17Channing discusses the Suns' completed season, and what he is looking forward to in the offseason.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday April 17Lon Babby reacts to the Suns' season and talks with the guys about the optimism surrounding the org
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday April 17What should we make of the Sunsí season?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.