Updated Apr 23, 2013 - 1:13 pm
Suns president says embracing the past is important
In fact, only three teams -- the Lakers, Celtics and Spurs -- have a better winning percentage.
However, each of those teams, along with 14 below them, have something the Suns don't: an NBA championship.
That history, though, is one of the reasons president of basketball operations Lon Babby said the decision to part with general manager Lance Blanks was made.
"Where I think we've lost our way a little bit, candidly, is I want to make sure we're respectful of the past," he said at a press conference Tuesday. "I want to make sure that we acknowledge the tremendous success this organization has had, be respectful of the people who have played here to the people who have coached here.
"And most importantly, to our employees that have been here for many, many years."
This past season saw the Suns post the second-worst record in franchise history, as well as part with longtime coach Alvin Gentry and assistants Dan Majerle and Elston Turner.
While Babby believes the team is in better shape in many respects, he understands until the wins start coming, people will remain skeptical.
Babby said that is his commitment going forward, along with doing the best he can to earn the confidence of everyone with an interest in the Suns.
"We've got a lot of work ahead of us," he said. "There is nothing new in that."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.