Updated Apr 23, 2013 - 1:13 pm
Suns president says embracing the past is important
In fact, only three teams -- the Lakers, Celtics and Spurs -- have a better winning percentage.
However, each of those teams, along with 14 below them, have something the Suns don't: an NBA championship.
That history, though, is one of the reasons president of basketball operations Lon Babby said the decision to part with general manager Lance Blanks was made.
"Where I think we've lost our way a little bit, candidly, is I want to make sure we're respectful of the past," he said at a press conference Tuesday. "I want to make sure that we acknowledge the tremendous success this organization has had, be respectful of the people who have played here to the people who have coached here.
"And most importantly, to our employees that have been here for many, many years."
This past season saw the Suns post the second-worst record in franchise history, as well as part with longtime coach Alvin Gentry and assistants Dan Majerle and Elston Turner.
While Babby believes the team is in better shape in many respects, he understands until the wins start coming, people will remain skeptical.
Babby said that is his commitment going forward, along with doing the best he can to earn the confidence of everyone with an interest in the Suns.
"We've got a lot of work ahead of us," he said. "There is nothing new in that."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.