Updated Apr 23, 2013 - 1:13 pm
Suns president says embracing the past is important
In fact, only three teams -- the Lakers, Celtics and Spurs -- have a better winning percentage.
However, each of those teams, along with 14 below them, have something the Suns don't: an NBA championship.
That history, though, is one of the reasons president of basketball operations Lon Babby said the decision to part with general manager Lance Blanks was made.
"Where I think we've lost our way a little bit, candidly, is I want to make sure we're respectful of the past," he said at a press conference Tuesday. "I want to make sure that we acknowledge the tremendous success this organization has had, be respectful of the people who have played here to the people who have coached here.
"And most importantly, to our employees that have been here for many, many years."
This past season saw the Suns post the second-worst record in franchise history, as well as part with longtime coach Alvin Gentry and assistants Dan Majerle and Elston Turner.
While Babby believes the team is in better shape in many respects, he understands until the wins start coming, people will remain skeptical.
Babby said that is his commitment going forward, along with doing the best he can to earn the confidence of everyone with an interest in the Suns.
"We've got a lot of work ahead of us," he said. "There is nothing new in that."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Phoenix Suns hope Eric Bledsoe ‘ready to go' next week
- Newly signed center Shavlik Randolph has close ties to Suns GM, players
- Phoenix Suns center Miles Plumlee to miss second straight game
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Thursday March 6Lon Babby talks about the Suns recent injury woes.
- The DISH - March 6, 2014 - Thursday March 6Jon Bloom takes the Suns time machine back to 2000 and a big late season victory at home.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday March 6What's the best way to prepare for games on the road?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday March 5Suns GM Ryan McDonough reacts to the team's loss to the Clippers.
- The DISH - March 4, 2013 - Tuesday March 4Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.