Updated Apr 23, 2013 - 1:13 pm
Suns president says embracing the past is important
In fact, only three teams -- the Lakers, Celtics and Spurs -- have a better winning percentage.
However, each of those teams, along with 14 below them, have something the Suns don't: an NBA championship.
That history, though, is one of the reasons president of basketball operations Lon Babby said the decision to part with general manager Lance Blanks was made.
"Where I think we've lost our way a little bit, candidly, is I want to make sure we're respectful of the past," he said at a press conference Tuesday. "I want to make sure that we acknowledge the tremendous success this organization has had, be respectful of the people who have played here to the people who have coached here.
"And most importantly, to our employees that have been here for many, many years."
This past season saw the Suns post the second-worst record in franchise history, as well as part with longtime coach Alvin Gentry and assistants Dan Majerle and Elston Turner.
While Babby believes the team is in better shape in many respects, he understands until the wins start coming, people will remain skeptical.
Babby said that is his commitment going forward, along with doing the best he can to earn the confidence of everyone with an interest in the Suns.
"We've got a lot of work ahead of us," he said. "There is nothing new in that."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Channing Frye, Suns forward - Thursday April 17Channing discusses the Suns' completed season, and what he is looking forward to in the offseason.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday April 17Lon Babby reacts to the Suns' season and talks with the guys about the optimism surrounding the org
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday April 17What should we make of the Sunsí season?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday April 16Suns general manager Ryan McDonough discusses the team missing the playoffs.
- The DISH - April 16, 2014 - Wednesday April 16Jon Bloom gives us The Day in Suns' History.