Updated Mar 5, 2013 - 6:16 pm
Suns' Dudley not worried about playing time
The Suns are in 13th place in the Western Conference, but are currently riding a season-long three-game winning streak that includes a victory over the the owners of the best record in the league -- the San Antonio Spurs.
One of the biggest differences during the winning streak has been the guys in Suns uniforms on the court for the bulk of the action. Shannon Brown hasn't played a minute and Michael Beasley is seeing only 13 minutes of playing time on average.
They're not the only two players who have seen a decrease in playing time. Jared Dudley, who has started 49 games for the Suns this season, has seen his playing time cut from about 30 minutes per game to about 20.
Some NBA players would be vocal about such a reduction in their workload, but Dudley is not one of them.
"I'm doing pretty good," Dudley told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 620 Tuesday. "I go through peaks and valleys, I'm never a guy who's about stats. I don't worry about stats. I know when I play consistently, my numbers over the course of the season will play well -- I'll shoot the ball well, play well."
It's commonplace in most professions for an employee to go have a heart-to-heart talk with the boss once expectations and expected contributions change. Dudley, however, hasn't done that with Suns interim head coach Lindsey Hunter
"I don't go in his office, I'm not someone who needs a lot of pep talks," he said. "I know I have my job. I've always been this way, where you don't need to tell me what I have to do -- usually I'm someone who knows their roles."
Dudley did reiterate that the lack of communication between he and the coach isn't a bad thing.
"You can't even say this is Lindsey's first year -- he's been on the job for what, two months," he asked. "He's got a lot of stuff thrown at him and and I'm one of things that 'hey, I'm not worried about Jared, Jared takes care of his business. Right now I'm worried about trying to change the culture to my style of coaching.'"
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle to enter NBA draft
- Jeff Hornacek: We got it back to Phoenix Suns basketball
- Suns' Jeff Hornacek finishes behind Spurs' Gregg Popovich in Coach of the Year voting
- Phoenix Suns' vocal, emotional leader P.J. Tucker wants to return
- Suns analyst: Team would benefit from veteran experience, clutch performer
- Tim Kempton, Suns analyst - Tuesday April 22Suns radio analyst Tim Kempton calls in to react to the blast.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday April 22Bickley blasts on postseason awards and how making it in the playoffs makes a huge difference
- Eddie Johnson, Suns analyst - Monday April 21Suns analyst Eddie Johnson talks about the NBA playoffs.
- Robert Sarver, Suns owner - Friday April 18Robert Sarver talks about possible offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Friday April 18Does Eric Bledsoe want to spend the prime of his career with the Suns?