Updated Feb 18, 2013 - 2:20 pm
Suns guard Shannon Brown: Jerry Buss always had a friendly feel
Suns guard Shannon Brown knows all of that to be true. He also knows of an individual who cared about his players.
"He always had a friendly feel," Brown, a one-time Lakers guard, said. "When he was around or if ever you needed to reach out to him, he'll talk to you about whatever; whatever the case was. It was always positive. You never heard nothing negative coming from him at all."
Brown said he heard the news of Buss' passing once he arrived back in Phoenix following the All-Star break.
"He came to my wedding and that was huge," he said. "That showed me that he really cared about me as an individual and not just as a player that was basically working for him and somebody that he's paying.
"It's a sad situation all around," Brown continued. "My prayers go out to him and his family."
Brown played two-plys seasons with the Lakers before joining the Suns. He was a part of the Lakers' championship teams in 2009 and 2010, two of the 10 NBA titles won under Buss' ownership after purchasing the franchise in 1979.
"Those were some of my best years, thus far, even though I'm still young and got hopefully a lot more years in the league," Brown said. "The Lakers are the team that let me showcase my abilities and got me two championships."
Suns managing partner Robert Sarver also reflected on Buss' passing in a statement released by the team:
"On behalf of the entire Phoenix Suns organization, our thoughts and prayers are with the Buss family. As an NBA owner, Dr. Buss was in a league of his own. I loved listening to his stories and appreciated his willingness to always engage in discussion and offer me positive encouragement and advice. He will be greatly missed."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.