Updated Jan 25, 2013 - 1:19 am
Suns Strokes: Phoenix shocks the Clippers without Chris Paul
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we will give you Suns Strokes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Suns' 93-88 win over the Los Angeles Clippers on January 24.
Goran Dragic recorded his team-high tying eighth 20-point effort of the season with a game-high 24 points, two shy of his season high. But it was the Suns defense that led to the first back-to-back wins since a season-high four-game win streak from December 12-19. For only the fourth time this season, the Suns held an opponent under 40 percent shooting (39.8).
The Suns gave up 16 points off of 17 turnovers. Also, the team was outscored in the paint (38-26), on second chance possessions (15-7) and fast-break opportunities (21-14).
The Suns shot just 32 perent from three-point range.
He Said It:
"The last two games we have played as a team," Dragic said. "We are hustling on defense; offense everybody is engaged, everybody is partipating. It's much easier if you have five guys on the floor and everybody is dangerous for baskets so the defense cannot relax."
• *Lindsey Hunter became just the fourth Suns head coach in franchise history to begin his tenure 2-0. Hunter joins Alvin Gentry (2008-09), Scott Skiles (1999-00) and Jerry Colangelo (1969-70), each of whom were also midseason replacements.
• Jermaine O'Neal (irregular heartbeat) missed his second straight game but plans to travel with the team during a two-game Texas road swing.
The Suns (15-28) play their next two games on the road as they'll do the Texas Two-Step: at San Antonio on Saturday, at Dallas on Sunday.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset with success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?