Updated Jan 25, 2013 - 1:19 am
Suns Strokes: Phoenix shocks the Clippers without Chris Paul
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we will give you Suns Strokes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Suns' 93-88 win over the Los Angeles Clippers on January 24.
Goran Dragic recorded his team-high tying eighth 20-point effort of the season with a game-high 24 points, two shy of his season high. But it was the Suns defense that led to the first back-to-back wins since a season-high four-game win streak from December 12-19. For only the fourth time this season, the Suns held an opponent under 40 percent shooting (39.8).
The Suns gave up 16 points off of 17 turnovers. Also, the team was outscored in the paint (38-26), on second chance possessions (15-7) and fast-break opportunities (21-14).
The Suns shot just 32 perent from three-point range.
He Said It:
"The last two games we have played as a team," Dragic said. "We are hustling on defense; offense everybody is engaged, everybody is partipating. It's much easier if you have five guys on the floor and everybody is dangerous for baskets so the defense cannot relax."
*Lindsey Hunter became just the fourth Suns head coach in franchise history to begin his tenure 2-0. Hunter joins Alvin Gentry (2008-09), Scott Skiles (1999-00) and Jerry Colangelo (1969-70), each of whom were also midseason replacements.
Jermaine O'Neal (irregular heartbeat) missed his second straight game but plans to travel with the team during a two-game Texas road swing.
The Suns (15-28) play their next two games on the road as they'll do the Texas Two-Step: at San Antonio on Saturday, at Dallas on Sunday.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Morris twins 'better together' for Phoenix Suns
- Suns GM McDonough not surprised by Phoenix's strong start
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe makes ESPN's list of top NBA players under 25
- Kobe still winless after Suns beat Lakers 114-108
- Suns Strokes: Offensive outburst hands Phoenix first road win vs. Lakers since 2010
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 12The Suns surprising run to start the season continues.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame Voice of the Suns - Thursday December 12Al McCoy discuss the Suns big win against the Lakers and what is coming up next for the team.
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 11Ryan McDonough talks about the Suns' recent success after beating the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.