Updated Jan 25, 2013 - 1:19 am
Suns Strokes: Phoenix shocks the Clippers without Chris Paul
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we will give you Suns Strokes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Suns' 93-88 win over the Los Angeles Clippers on January 24.
Goran Dragic recorded his team-high tying eighth 20-point effort of the season with a game-high 24 points, two shy of his season high. But it was the Suns defense that led to the first back-to-back wins since a season-high four-game win streak from December 12-19. For only the fourth time this season, the Suns held an opponent under 40 percent shooting (39.8).
The Suns gave up 16 points off of 17 turnovers. Also, the team was outscored in the paint (38-26), on second chance possessions (15-7) and fast-break opportunities (21-14).
The Suns shot just 32 perent from three-point range.
He Said It:
"The last two games we have played as a team," Dragic said. "We are hustling on defense; offense everybody is engaged, everybody is partipating. It's much easier if you have five guys on the floor and everybody is dangerous for baskets so the defense cannot relax."
• *Lindsey Hunter became just the fourth Suns head coach in franchise history to begin his tenure 2-0. Hunter joins Alvin Gentry (2008-09), Scott Skiles (1999-00) and Jerry Colangelo (1969-70), each of whom were also midseason replacements.
• Jermaine O'Neal (irregular heartbeat) missed his second straight game but plans to travel with the team during a two-game Texas road swing.
The Suns (15-28) play their next two games on the road as they'll do the Texas Two-Step: at San Antonio on Saturday, at Dallas on Sunday.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Suns' Dragic leads Slovenia to Group D win over Mexico at FIBA World Cup
- Suns guard Goran Dragic leads Slovenians to win in World Cup opener
- Phoenix Suns launch a social media campaign to find new fan models
- Former Phoenix Suns guard Leandro Barbosa signs with the Golden State Warriors
- Suns guard Goran Dragic limited as Slovenia routed by United States in World Cup exhibition
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Paul Coro - azcentral sports Suns writer - Tuesday August 26Paul Coro discusses Eric Bledsoe still being a restricted free agent.
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.