Suns Strokes: Suns win first game under interim coach Lindsey Hunter
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we will give you Suns Strokes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Suns' 106-96 win over the Kings on January 23.
The Suns have been embroiled in controversy since team officials replaced head coach Alvin Gentry with the inexperienced Lindsey Hunter. But on Wednesday night, the players answered the call, helping their interim coach notch his first career win in a strong display of professionalism and unity.
Luis Scola led the charge offensively for the Suns, notching 21 points and seven rebounds. Michael Beasley added 19 for Phoenix, 13 of which came in the game's final quarter.
The Suns were impressive overall in the fourth, using a 15-1 run to help seal the victory.
P.J. Tucker was held to just four points in 22:38 minutes of play and Jared Dudley also struggled offensively, netting just eight points on the night.
The Suns shot just 32% from three-point range.
He Said It:
"It was real exciting. I'm more excited for the guys than anything else since they worked so hard for me the last few days," Suns' head coach Lindsey Hunter said. "This is a long, long journey and this is just the beginning for all of us."
• The Suns have now won two straight game on the road despite holding a 4-17 record away from US Airways Center this season.
• Jermaine O'Neal did not travel with the team due to a medical ailment.
• The Kings had a season-high 24 turnovers.
• Lindsey Hunter did not make any changes to the Suns' starting lineup in his first game as head coach.
The Suns will host the Los Angeles Clippers Thursday night at 8:30 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe: 'I'm ready to go'
- Suns' Dragic credits new team mindset for success
- Former D-League coach praises work ethic of Suns' Gerald Green
- Suns center Alex Len keeping close tabs on Ukraine, honors country with special message
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Goran Dragic, Suns Guard - Friday March 7Suns guard Goran Dragic joins the Burns and Gambo show
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Bickley Blast - Friday March 7The Suns got a signature win, and seem determined to make the playoffs.
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Tim Kempton, Suns Color Analyst - Friday March 7Will LeBron return to Cleveland?