Suns Strokes: Suns win first game under interim coach Lindsey Hunter
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we will give you Suns Strokes, providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from the Suns' 106-96 win over the Kings on January 23.
The Suns have been embroiled in controversy since team officials replaced head coach Alvin Gentry with the inexperienced Lindsey Hunter. But on Wednesday night, the players answered the call, helping their interim coach notch his first career win in a strong display of professionalism and unity.
Luis Scola led the charge offensively for the Suns, notching 21 points and seven rebounds. Michael Beasley added 19 for Phoenix, 13 of which came in the game's final quarter.
The Suns were impressive overall in the fourth, using a 15-1 run to help seal the victory.
P.J. Tucker was held to just four points in 22:38 minutes of play and Jared Dudley also struggled offensively, netting just eight points on the night.
The Suns shot just 32% from three-point range.
He Said It:
"It was real exciting. I'm more excited for the guys than anything else since they worked so hard for me the last few days," Suns' head coach Lindsey Hunter said. "This is a long, long journey and this is just the beginning for all of us."
• The Suns have now won two straight game on the road despite holding a 4-17 record away from US Airways Center this season.
• Jermaine O'Neal did not travel with the team due to a medical ailment.
• The Kings had a season-high 24 turnovers.
• Lindsey Hunter did not make any changes to the Suns' starting lineup in his first game as head coach.
The Suns will host the Los Angeles Clippers Thursday night at 8:30 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tim Kempton, Suns' Analyst - Wednesday June 19Suns' Analyst Tim Kempton joins Doug and Wolf to talk about the NBA Finals game six and if the Spurs
- Jared Dudley, Suns forward - Tuesday June 18Jared Dudley joins Doug and Wolf to talk NBA Finals.
- Jared Dudley, Suns' Forward - Tuesday June 11JD gives us his player's perspective on the NBA Finals.
- Brian Windhorst, NBA ESPN.com Writer - Friday June 7Brian Windhorst talks about Game 1 of the NBA Finals and what to expect from the rest of the series.
- Suns GM Ryan McDonough - Friday June 7The Suns GM talks about prospects Ben McLemore of Kansas and Victor Oladipo of Indiana.