Updated Jan 21, 2013 - 10:17 pm
Dan Majerle out as Suns assistant coach
Dan Majerle is out as Suns assistant coach, sorry about the misspelling on the first one— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) January 22, 2013
Majerle, who played eight seasons with the Suns and is one of the most popular players in franchise history, became an assistant coach in 2008 and guided the Suns summer league teams in Las Vegas for four seasons.
Majerle's status was up in the air after the Suns fired head coach Alvin Gentry Friday and named player development coordinator Lindsey Hunter as the interim coach Sunday -- bypassing both Majerle and Elston Turner, who has 14 years of assistant coaching experience in the NBA.
Majerle will be paid in full for the rest of the season.
The team was also planning a Dan Majerle Fathead promotional giveaway for the January 30 game against the Los Angeles Lakers, but that is now in doubt due to Majerle's departure.
Hunter will make his debut on the Suns bench Wednesday night in Sacramento against the Kings.
- Suns Strokes: Green engineers second-half comeback in thrilling win over Thunder
- Green, Suns storm past Thunder in statement victory: By the Numbers
- Phoenix Suns hope Eric Bledsoe ‘ready to go' next week
- Newly signed center Shavlik Randolph has close ties to Suns GM, players
- Phoenix Suns center Miles Plumlee to miss second straight game
- Lon Babby, Suns President of Basketball Operations - Thursday March 6Lon Babby talks about the Suns recent injury woes.
- The DISH - March 6, 2014 - Thursday March 6Jon Bloom takes the Suns time machine back to 2000 and a big late season victory at home.
- Al McCoy, Hall of Fame voice of the Suns - Thursday March 6What's the best way to prepare for games on the road?
- Ryan McDonough, Suns general manager - Wednesday March 5Suns GM Ryan McDonough reacts to the team's loss to the Clippers.
- The DISH - March 4, 2013 - Tuesday March 4Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.