Updated Jan 21, 2013 - 10:17 pm
Dan Majerle out as Suns assistant coach
Dan Majerle is out as Suns assistant coach, sorry about the misspelling on the first one— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) January 22, 2013
Majerle, who played eight seasons with the Suns and is one of the most popular players in franchise history, became an assistant coach in 2008 and guided the Suns summer league teams in Las Vegas for four seasons.
Majerle's status was up in the air after the Suns fired head coach Alvin Gentry Friday and named player development coordinator Lindsey Hunter as the interim coach Sunday -- bypassing both Majerle and Elston Turner, who has 14 years of assistant coaching experience in the NBA.
Majerle will be paid in full for the rest of the season.
The team was also planning a Dan Majerle Fathead promotional giveaway for the January 30 game against the Los Angeles Lakers, but that is now in doubt due to Majerle's departure.
Hunter will make his debut on the Suns bench Wednesday night in Sacramento against the Kings.
- Suns GM McDonough not surprised by Phoenix's strong start
- Phoenix Suns' Eric Bledsoe makes ESPN's list of top NBA players under 25
- Kobe still winless after Suns beat Lakers 114-108
- Suns Strokes: Offensive outburst hands Phoenix first road win vs. Lakers since 2010
- Film study aiding defensive effort of Phoenix Suns' P.J. Tucker
- Ryan McDonough, Suns General Manager - Wednesday December 11Ryan McDonough talks about the Suns' recent success after beating the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Jeff Hornacek, Suns Head Coach - Tuesday December 10How will they prepare for Kobe Bryant?
- The DISH - December 10, 2013 - Tuesday December 10Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- The DISH - December 6, 2013 - Friday December 6Jon Bloom gives us the day in Suns' history.
- Lon Babby, Suns president of basketball operations - Thursday December 5The Suns beat the Rockets on Wednesday night.