Updated Jan 20, 2013 - 3:10 pm
Suns players supportive of decision to name Lindsey Hunter interim head coach
Although the team is clearly closer to a top 3 pick in June's draft than playoff contention, one thing is for certain: the players support the front office's decision to tag Lindsey Hunter as the interim head coach Sunday.
"He brings that sort of dog to the team," first-year Sun Michael Beasley said. "He knows what he wants, he's been in the league for awhile and has championships. I liked [the move]."
Hunter has quite a task ahead of him, as Phoenix has dropped 13 of its last 15 games, including losing streaks of five and six games a piece.
While Hunter has only been with the organization since 2012 and has no head coaching experience on his resume, his pedigree as a player lends itself to a level of credibility amongst his team.
"I wasn't surprised at all," Sebastian Telfair said. "Lindsey is going to hold everyone accountable. He was a player, so the players respect him. I'm anxious to see how this goes."
When asked what he liked most about his new coach, Telfair said the former NBA veteran doesn't mince his words.
"No B.S.," said Telfair. "He's been a straight shooter for us as a developmental guy. We will see how that turns over as a head coach."
Although the team has a six-day layoff between last Thursday's 98-94 loss to the Bucks and Wednesday's road game against the Kings, the team already appears to have felt the impact of the coaching move on the practice court.
"Obviously this year hasn't gone the way that we hoped it would go," rookie point guard Kendall Marshall said. "I think we took a great step with our first practice [under Hunter]. Everybody competed hard and there was a lot of positivity in the gym."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Phoenix Suns don't have a point guard in top ten of WARP projections
- Phoenix Suns 2014 preseason schedule released
- The Pulse: Most say Eric Bledsoe and agent Rich Paul are at fault for contract standoff with Phoenix Suns
- Phoenix Suns single-game tickets now on sale
- New Phoenix Suns guard Isaiah Thomas undergoes wrist surgery
- Chris Sheridan- sheridanhoops.com - Tuesday August 19Chris Sheridan believes there is one team that could easily make a max contract offer to Eric Bledso
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Adrian Wojnarowski- YahooSports NBA writer - Tuesday August 12Adrian Wojnarowski says Eric Bledsoe has backed himself into a corner.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 12Now that Donald Sterling is gone, who is the worst owner in sports?
- Jerry Colangelo, Managing Director of USA Basketball - Friday August 8Jerry Colangelo talks about the Paul George injury and Kevin Durant's departure from Team USA.